Stephen W. Hawking

by Brian from San Diego

(http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/5/15/1305492457260/Stephen-Hawking-008.jpg)

Stephen Hawking is a world-renowned scientist with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Hawking is the longest living person with ALS; the normal life span of someone with the disease is twenty-one years. He was diagnosed over fifty-years ago and is still living today. Hawking has often been called a hero because of his work. Stephen is known for his incredible scientific discoveries ranging from black holes to time travel. Hawking is a hero for more reasons than just his work. Stephen Hawking is heroic because he is hard working, inspirational, and is generous with his time. 

Stephen Hawking is a British theoretical physicist, a cosmologist, and an author. Hawking was born on January 8, 1954 in Oxford, England. He became famous when he was studying black holes when he proved that they potentially expand but never shrink. Hawking has won fifteen major awards, including the President's Freedom Award; which is the biggest award a civilian can get. He attended Cambridge University in 1962, and received his PhD in 1969. Although he has received many rewards he has also encountered many tragedies. Hawking has been paralyzed for about forty years now, but he never lets it slow down his studies. He has won numerous awards including the Copley Medal, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Eddington Medal, and the Albert Einstein Medal. These awards are just a few that prove his struggle to succeed was successful. Surprisingly, Stephen's illness did not arise until he was in college. Another interesting fact about Stephen is that he was not an outstanding student because he did very little work but fortunately he easily grasped the essential subjects of mathematics and physics.

Stephen became a hard worker when he was diagnosed with the serious illness. He did not allow ALS to slow him down, which is inspiring and contributes to his heroism. To live life to its fullest Hawking is constantly looking for ways around his disabilities. His search brought him to IBM where he invented the computer attached to his wheelchair. The computer on his chair allows him to overcome ALS and to communicate with his environment. On the topic of ALS, Stephen says, "I have had a motor neuron disease for practically all my adult life. Yet it has not prevented me from having a very attractive family, and being successful in my work" (Hawking). Stephen is proud of his life and success; his hope helps drive him and inspires many people. A reporter once stated, "He may be remembered as much for his appearance, wheelchair whirling, on the dance floor of a Chicago disco as for his prowess in physics" (Hawking). The reporter who said this is referring to how Stephen is a lively and fun person, who even though is crippled, still enjoys life to the fullest. Hawking inspires many people by not letting his disease get in his way and enjoying his life.

Stephen Hawking also motivates many people. Hawking has won numerous awards including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Eddington Medal, and the Albert Einstein Medal. An author is talking about Stephen when he says, "Holder of numerous awards and honors, including Pius XI Gold Metal from the Pontifical Academy." (Stephen). Hawking is an outstanding person because he shows people that even if you cannot talk and can only move your right arm, you can still be a functional member of society by achieving great awards and honors. Stephen shows people that you can do anything as long as you set your mind to it. He inspires not only me, but also many others. Stephen is one person who truly lives up to Muhammad Ali's saying, "Impossible is nothing." He is a true inspiration.

(http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01387/stephen-hawking_1387959c.jpg ())

Stephen Hawking does not only help in the fields of science and physics, but he is also generous with his time. He gives people with ALS as well as other debilitating diseases hope. Stephen was talking about his ALS when he said, "...it shows that one need not lose hope" (Hawking). He is often telling people that he has not lost any hope so other people have no reason to as well. Stephen Hawking inspires all people and gives them hope because he is living his life to the fullest despite no use of his body. Stephen is one of the most intelligent people living today that inspires everyone with his accomplishments, despite his disability.

Hawking is a hero because he truly did not give up. He helped inspire people and he helped spread the word about ALS. Stephen is a deserving hero because of his achievements and because of all the people he inspires every day. As Stephen Hawking says and does, "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change" (Hawking).

Hawking, Stephen W. "Stephen Hawking - Home." Stephen Hawking - Home. University

of Cambridge. Web. 22 May 2012. .

Hawking, Stephen W. "Living with ALS - Stephen Hawking." Living with ALS - Stephen

Hawking. Stephen Hawking. Web. 08 May 2012.

"Stephen Hawking." Math & Mathematicians: The History of Math Discoveries Around the

World. Gale, 2008. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 May 2012.

"Stephen W. Hawking." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1990. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 7

May 2012.

"Stephen William Hawking." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale

Biography In Context. Web. 10 May 2012.