Stephen William Hawking

by Jeonghun Park from Guam

One day when i was an elementary schooler, i heard about Professor Stephen William Hawking from my teacher during class. My teacher said even though he has handicaps and serious diseases he overcame it and became one of the most famous physicists in the world and showed us his pictures to tell how he looks like, and i got a great shock because he couldn't even talk, walk, and write well. From that time, I started to respect him and tried to imitate his greatness. So in this time, i'm going to tell about professor Hawking for my hero.

"Stephen W. Hawking was born on 8, January 1942 in Oxford, England as an oldest son. At eleven Stephen went to St Albans School, and then on to University College, Oxford. Stephen wanted to do Mathematics, although his father would have preferred medicine. But mathematics was not available at University College, so he did Physics instead. After three years, he was awarded a first class honours degree in Natural Science. Stephen then went on to Cambridge to do research in Cosmology and was elected as one of the youngest Fellows of the Royal Society, and later on a Professorial Fellow at Gonville and Caius College. And in 1965, he has worked on the basic laws which govern the universe and with Roger Penrose he showed that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity implied space and time would have a beginning in the Big Bang and an end in black holes. One consequence of such a unification that he discovered was that black holes should not be completely black, but should emit radiation and eventually evaporate and disappear. Another conjecture is that the universe has no edge or boundary in imaginary time. This would imply that the way the universe began was completely determined by the laws of science. After leaving the Institute of Astronomy in 1973, Stephen came to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and since 1979 he has held the post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics."

In his life, the most effective event was the getting of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) in 1965, "which is a progressive, usually fatal, neurodegenerative disease caused by the degeneration of motor neurons, the nerve cells in the central nervous system that control voluntary muscle movement." When he got ALS, he was just 21-year-old and received a sentence of death that he can't live over 1~2 years. it was enough to make anybody fall into trauma. But Stephen didn't submit to it. With a devotion to his goal and a strong will, he tried to overcome his disease and to achieve his purposes. As a physicist, he always also endeavored to discover the truths of nature. He kept researching the truth incessantly and keep fighting to get over his disease. And from him we can learn a defiant attitude and an indomitable will.