Listen-and-Read-Along MY HERO Stories - for ESL

Sherlock Holmes

by Serena from Miami Beach

Sherlock Holmes (http://studentsblog.skola.edu.mt/tag/sherlock-holm ())

Heroes can be heroes without having to save a life or risk their own. They can inspire you and change the way you look at the world in general. Heroes don't have to be real to inspire you. Sometimes, they can be a fictional character that can change the way you think about your own world in general. My favorite fictional character that has inspired me is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's masterpiece, Sherlock Holmes. This character not only got me into the mystery genre, but it also gave me a new perspective on even simple things.

For those who don't know, the story of Sherlock Holmes is set in London in the 1800's. He lived on Baker's Street, which is an actual street in London. He was "born" in the details of his novels in 1854, but the details of his death are unknown. He was also very versatile with many weapons and martial arts. However, his greatest weapon was his brain. His "Holmesian deduction" can crack even the most impossible case. He was the near perfect detective. Even though he had many problems such as drug problems, he still did his job as a detective to perfection.

From his first story, "A Study in Scarlet", Sherlock had defined himself as an amazing detective. His deductions can solve even those deemed "impossible". From impossible murders to mysterious organizations, Holmes and his partner, Watson, will figure it out. He is also one of the most quotable fictional characters with his most famous quote being, "Elementary my dear Watson." However, my favorite quote from Holmes comes from "The Sign of Four", the quote is "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Holmes may not be real, but he inspired me with his adventures. He not only got me into the mystery genre, but he gave me a new way to see the world. I love his stories and I try to figure out the mystery before I get to the end. I begun to do this with every mystery novel I read afterwards. At the end, he's a hero, not only in his fictional world, but to me as well.