Steve Irwin

by Daniel from Hervey Bay

Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin is my hero because he did everything he could for the environment and to help and save it. He donated more land in Australia as nature reserves then any other single person, he was a passionate conservationist and he believed in promoting environmentalism by sharing his excitement about nature rather then trying to preach to people about it. He was always concerned with conservation of endangered species and land clearing, which is why he donated land to create a nature reserve. He considered himself to be a wildlife warrior. And he considered his mission to save the world’s endangered species. He also bought large tracks of land in Vanuatu, Fiji and the United States to help get the message to people that everyone can make a difference. He also hated illegal poaching and urged people not to buy items like shark-fin soup and turtle shells.

For his efforts in 2001, Irwin was awarded the Centenary Medal for his "service to global conservation and to Australian tourism". In 2004, he was recognized as Tourism Export of the Year.

That is why he is my hero - because of how much he cared for the environment.