Stonewall Jackson

by Sean from Bow

Stonewall Jackson lived a shorter life than he imagined but his contribution to the Civil War makes him as hero. Before the Civil War he was simply known as Private Thomas Jackson. He served in the Mexican War where fought in the battles south of the border in the Mexican Campaign. He fought bravely at the battle for Mexico City; afterwards he was promoted to Major. At Mexico City, he met Robert E. Lee for the first time.

Once the war broke out Jackson quit his teaching job in Lexington and became a drill sergeant for Confederate soldiers. He was later given command of the Stonewall Brigade, which consisted of 4 regiments from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Jackson later gained his famous nickname "Stonewall" at the battle of the First Bull Run were he famously stood and faced the Union lines rallying the troops retreated to form up to fight the enemy. The men rallied around him and won the battle, Jackson was promoted to general for his leadership during the battle.

Jackson finally became recognized for his military genius and fell directly under command of Robert E. Lee. Jackson became feared on both sides for his bravery and habits he had. Jackson famously would suck a lemon before every battle. Jackson was a part of countless battles and participated in both the Valley Campaign and the Peninsular Campaign. Stonewall was an important part of the Confederate command and led Lee's left wing of his army.

"Stonewall" Jackson's luck finally ran out, at the battle of Chancellorsville when he was shot by one of his own men. He later died of pneumonia on May 10, 1863. Jackson's death was a huge blow to the Confederate Army. Without his leadership the Confederate soldiers easily broke and fled due to terrible leadership. Lee even said "No one could replace Jackson". Historians today even talk about how without the leadership of "Stonewall" Jackson the Confederates were destined to lose at Gettysburg. Jackson was a tremendous hero of the Civil War. He was a brave man who went against what was the norm to fight for what was right to him. That's what makes him a hero, not only a hero, but also a legend. And you know heroes get remembered, but legends never die.