Steve Jobs

by Azrael from San Diego

Steve Jobs with the iPhone 4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs ())

Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, once said, "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it" ("Steve Jobs Quotes"). Amazingly, a man who was given up at birth went on to lead the world in a technological revolution. Steve Jobs was born in San Francisco, California on February 24, 1955. His biological parents were Joanne Schieble and Abdulfattah Jand, two University of Wisconsin graduate students. Shortly after his birth, they decided they could not keep him and gave him up for adoption without a name. He was then adopted by Paul and Clara Jobs. According to Steve Jobs, a biography by Walter Isaacson, "Steven struggled in school and was always in trouble for making jokes and distracting others. School was boring for him and his teachers would try to bribe him to get him to focus and complete his work. When he was young, he and his father would work on electronics in the garage." (Isaacson 380) When he was at Homestead High School he met his future partner, Steve Wozniak, who was going to UC Berkeley. A hero must possess curiosity, knowledge, and the desire to succeed. A hero must not let life's struggles get in the way of his success. Steve Jobs had all of these qualities and in addition, he was curious and never satisfied with what life threw at him.

Steve Jobs was a hero because he revolutionized the technological world. In "Steve Jobs Cult Hero at Apple Computers", Nathan Aaseng write that, "Jobs created the Macintosh computer that made personal computers simple to operate by using pictures instead of command codes to gain access to information" (Nathan). He worked hard to get high tech devices into the hands of the public. Everyday people use his technology in everyday situations. However, Steve Jobs was not an immediate success. He had many failures that he had to overcome to build the business that is Apple today. Steve Jobs's mission was to make Apple computers an everyday household tool that was within the average American's financial means. According "Success and Failures", an article written about Steve Jobs, "Steve Jobs turned the Cupertino firm [a technology industry] into a leader in computer innovation again, steadily refreshing its product line and pioneering new technologies" ("Success and Failures"). By doing this, he is a hero for making a technology company that changed the way we do things today. Steve Jobs was the leader in making Apple, the multi-billion dollar company, it is today. Apple's second computer worked well and gained the public's attention. "The Apple II set itself apart early on, and soon embodied the personal computer in the public consciousness" (Successes and Failures). Steve Jobs is considered a hero because he changed the culture of technology. With Steve Jobs's new high end computer, his name was becoming well known in the business industry. Despite being abandoned at birth and struggling horribly in school, he still inspired others to never give up and pursue their ambitions.

The first iPhone  (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-steve-jobs-almo (Seth Fiegerman ))
The first iPhone (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-steve-jobs-almo (Seth Fiegerman ))

Steve Jobs worked hard his whole career to get his company where it is today. Apple products have become popular throughout the world. Because of this popularity, the capability to record any action or event at any time is changing how history is documented or portrayed. "Smart phones have grown ubiquitous, particularly among the young, and their video capabilities are shifting power to the people on the streets, enabling them to record their interactions with the authorities for all the world to see on social media and television" ("Financial Times"). Steve Jobs is considered a civil rights hero because people are using his iphone to document police brutality. It is no longer a question of he said, she said; there is now video footage to prove people's claims.

Steve Jobs's main goal was to get affordable technology into the hands of the public. According to "Cultures, Great Work", an article about Steve Jobs, "Jobs, however, had a clear picture of the human potential that could be unleashed if we could find a way to continually connect everyone on the planet" ("Cultures, Great Work"). For example, instead of sending letters and having to wait a couple days to receive mail you can now communicate from your device. People send a text and the communication is received instantly. Steve Jobs had a massive impact on the world, more than any business man ever has. Whether we look at the instant communication through texting or being able to buy a product with the press of a button, our culture is changing due to Apple devices. "Cultures, Great Work" states Steve Jobs rejoining the Apple company is one of the reasons the company became what it is today. "When Jobs returned to Apple for his second stint as its CEO, this picture became his company's compelling purpose, reflected in a bold mantra to "think different" (Cultures). Steve Jobs was the primary reason that Apple exploded into a high tech industry. Steve Jobs worked hard to change the way we communicate today.

In "Why We all need Heroes," Hinterda Wadhwa states that "Great leaders demonstrate that it is in fact okay to dream the impossible, to rebel against the mindsets of your times, as long as you are committed to relentlessly pursuing this dream" (Wadhwa). Throughout his life Steve Jobs worked hard his whole career to pursue his dream and, despite all his troubles, he succeeded and created one of the most popular technology company in the world. Steve Jobs inspires me to not give up, Even if you are having trouble in school and just feel the need to give up, don't, because eventually it will all work out. Steve Jobs is a great hero, not just to me, but to all who have utilized the technology that he inspired. He made what most of what we use today: hands on, easy to use technology.

"Financial Times." Subscribe to Read. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 May 2017.

Isaacson, Walter. Steve Jobs. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2011. Print.`

Nathan, Aaseng. "STEVE JOBS CULT HERO AT APPLE COMPUTER." N.p., n.d. Web.

Wadhwa, Hitendra. "Why We All Need Heroes." Inc.com. Inc., 23 Jan. 2012. Web. 04 May

2017.

"Steve Jobs." Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 28 Apr. 2017. Web. 04 May 2017.

"Success and Failures." All about Steve Jobs.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 May 2017.

"Steve Jobs Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 09 May 2017.

Cultures, Great Work. "The Last Heroic Leader: Remembering Steve Jobs." The Huffington

Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 01 Oct. 2015. Web. 13 May 2017.