Steve Jobs

by Bijan from San Diego

"'When you're a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you're not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will ever see it. You'll know it's there, so you're going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back'" (Paul Jobs). This is the lesson that Steve Jobs's father taught him at a young age, and it depicts how he had applied his father's words of wisdom to the innovative products of Apple. Due to the large success at Apple, people started to recognize Steve Jobs as a genius. He had manipulated the technology of yesterday into the technology of tomorrow. Jobs was adopted and a college dropout. Ever since Jobs was born on the 24th of February 1955, he was inspired by his father to learn how things work. He taught his son Steve Jobs that things needed to be done right or not at all. Jobs later became one of the world's most successful men creating Apple, NeXT and transforming Pixar into multi-billion dollar companies. On October 5th, 2011 he was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer and later died. Steve Jobs was an inspiration because of his innovative mind to invent new products, his vision to see the future of technology, and his determination to fortify power-house companies.

Steven Paul Jobs was a man who thought differently than anyone else which allowed him to open the age of new technological limits. When Jobs was a child, his father taught him to get his hands on anything to disassemble and piece back together which developed his curious mind. Jobs's father said, "'He was sort of a genius with his hands. He could fix anything and make it work, and take any mechanical thing apart and get it back together'" (Blumenthal 9). Steve Jobs valued his father's advice at a young age and learned that before he can create things, he has learn what has already been created. This is why Apple has kept launching new and exciting technology to the world; it is due to Jobs's ability to create the unexpected. As the years progressed, the so called "Golden age" of Jobs's career sky-rocketed: ".the company rolled out a series of revolutionary products, including the iPod portable digital audio player in 2001, an online market place called the Apple iTunes Store in 2003, the iPhone handset in 2007, and the iPad tablet computer in 2010" (Student Research Center). As displayed, Jobs's creative mind was at work when he designed these products. Their creation increased the Apple stock prices and raised the valuation of the company to over a billion. This man's success was caused by his upbringing and fueled by his natural curiosity. As the world drooled over the inventive side of Jobs, his devices would have never been created if it were not for the vision he possessed.

Part of Steve Jobs's brain was hard-wired to see beyond what was right in front of him. This enabled him to innovate the way we communicate. His products were not exclusively for the entertainment market, thus he began to foresee the sophistication of where his company could be: "He was soon perceived to be a visionary genius who foresaw how to marry high-technology electronics and everyday business" (Beetz). His ability to predict where he could successfully take his companies next was remarkable. He often had potential consumers begging for what was next. He remained at a comfort level where he could grasp the attention of business leaders yet captivate his young consumers that beg for innovation. Most of Steve Jobs's visions for a company's future went well, but his newest company NeXT was not becoming the leading company he had envisioned: So ".he purchased Pixar Animation Studios for $10 million from filmmaker George Lucas" (Gale Biography in Context), and he created films, like Toy Story, turning Pixar into a multibillion dollar company which he then sold to Disney for seven billion dollars. This shows how Jobs could invest money into a business and turn it around with the vision he carries. This is because he carefully plans his ideas and runs with it. So far, Jobs has the vision and the ability to carry this out, but in order for his plans to succeed, he needed the drive.

Determination is the glue that kept Steve Jobs alive; it kept him focused on where he wanted to be, and it inspired him to run Apple into a well-known company that thrives for success. Even after Jobs was forced to resign from Apple, he went on his own path creating NeXT and buying Pixar. After a road filled with obstacles, he had received word that Apple needed help running the company again. CEO Gilbert Amelio chose to buy ".Jobs's company for more than $400 million. [and] Apple's board of directors. [had] requested Apple's cofounder to lead the company once again" (Student Research Center). Jobs was driven to re-continue leading Apple once again, and now that he had more experience building companies, he has more confidence moving forward. Due to his father always teaching him to do whatever he does, do it right, no matter how long it takes. Jobs's drive to continue with his company was hindered when he was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer. "In 2004 he underwent reconstructive surgery known as the Whipple Operation.following a short recovery, Jobs returned to running Apple" (Gale World of Computer Science). Jobs had so much passion for his company that he tried to hide his condition from everyone and continue to work. This is why he is an inspiration; he was driven to continue with his goal to create a technologically advanced country. He realized that his company was larger than he was so he had to keep working on it because the technology he was developing was the future. Jobs's personal drive kept himself and his business thriving, and in turn created the multibillion dollar company known today as Apple.

In summary, Steve Jobs inspired the world through his vision for technological advances, his perseverance to fortify companies, and his imaginative mind to continually invent new devices. Jobs's innovative brain allowed him to create products such as the world renowned iPhone and the music downloading empire called iTunes. His vision for the future of technology led him to build NeXT that was eventually bought out by Apple that pioneered newer processors that are utilized by Apple today. His return to Apple after he was fired for failing to successfully run Apple is an example of his determination to succeed. Also his recovery from his rare form of cancer only to return to Apple displayed his dedication to his life's work. This and all he has contributed to the society of technology made him an inspiration to those who need a boost to drive them to achieve their goals. Jobs was a great example of this trait and inspired many to do the same. Jobs inspired me to always keep thinking out of the box, and to always do anything I do with quality. This is what pulled Jobs away from every other inventor. He was different. Adopted. Dropout. Fired. Inspirational. Innovator. Visionary. Jobs.

Biography in Context - My hero aspires to be different.
Biography in Context - My hero inspires in the heart of the bold.
Student Resources in Context - My hero took down competitors to be the best.
Student Resources in Context - My hero had the vision to predict the future.

Blumenthal, Karen. Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different. 2012. 267

Beetz, Kirk. "Steven Paul Jobs." [Online] Available http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Steven_Paul_Jobs.aspx.

Biographies, Britanica . "Jobs, Steve." [Online] Available http://web.a.ebscohost.com/src/detail?vid=4&sid=0330d399-25d8-4f9a-bce2-cb30dff9f987%40sessionmgr400. 2014.

In Context, Biography. "Steven Paul Jobs." [Online] Available http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?failOverType=&query=&pro.

In Context, Biography. "Steve Jobs." [Online] Available http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?failOverType=&query=&pro.