Soundiata Keita

by Tony Vahid from Bamako

Soundiata Keita
Soundiata Keita

Sogolon Diata Keita, born on 20 August 1190 in Niani in the region of Siguiri (in the Kingdom of Manding, now Guinea) and died in 1255, is called "Diata konate" A Mandingo ruler of medieval West Africa, founder of the Empire of Mali.Son of King Naré Maghann Konate and his second wife Sogolon Konde, he was crowned under the name of Mari Diata I and reigned around 1235 and 1255.

The story of Soundiata is essentially known by the epic narrative from generation to generation to the present day by the griots as well as the scholars.Nare Maghann Konate was a king of Manding, the former kingdom of West Africa (located in present-day Guinea). One day he was visited by a hunting diviner who predicted that an ugly woman would one day give him a son who would become a great king. Nare Maghann Konate was then already married to Sassouma Berete and had a son, Dankaran Toumani Konate, the half brother of Diatta Konate known as Soundiata Keita, more precisely called by the griots of the time "Kien" (inheritance) and "Ta (Take your inheritance), which became "Kienta" and later "Keita". Means the inheritance of the father in pronunciation in the Mandingo language.However, according to the prediction made a few years earlier, the two brothers Traore, hunters coming from the country of Do, present an ugly and hunchbacked woman, Sogolon Konde (Sogolon Kedjou or Sogolon "the villain"), whom the king marries.This second wife gave birth to a son named "Diata" or "Djata". The additive "Sogolon", marks its matriarchal belonging, in order to distinguish it from all namesake. This addition is also due to his disability. Indeed, the oral tradition reports that Sundiata was born paralyzed and that he walked on all fours until the age of seven years). According to Mandingo customs, if several children of the same family have the same first name or a child has a somewhat specific characteristic (such as a disability or a reputation), these children add their mother's name to their first name. The name of Sogolon Diata thus means "Diata, son of mother Sogolon": it became by diminutive "Sundiata".

At the death of Nore Maghann Konate in 1218, his first son, Dankaran Toumani, took power despite the will of the deceased king to respect the prediction. Sundiata and her mother, who had in the meantime given birth to two new daughters and had adopted the son of the third wife of Nore Maghann Konate, were therefore the permanent object of contempt for the new king and his mother.After an affront to his mother, Sundiata, at the age of seven, managed to get up and miraculously recovered the use of his legs when he touched the royal staff. But the hatred of Dankaran Toumani and Sassouma Berete led Sundiata, his mother and his sisters to exile to the Kingdom of Mena.Soumaoro Kante, king of the Sosso, then attacked the kingdom of Manding. Dankaran Toumani, fearing for his life, eventually flees to Kissidougou (now Guinea). According to tradition, Soumaoro led a dozen expeditions during which he massacred eleven of the sons of Nare Maghann Konate, except Sundiata.The inhabitants of Manding then sought Sundiata in his exile and asked him to take his inheritance.

The young prince quickly became very popular with the Mandingo who hoped that he would one day expel the invaders from Sosso. His growing popularity worries Soumaoro, the king of Sosso, to whom wizards have predicted: "Your victor will be born in Mali". To escape his vengeance, Sundiata took refuge in a neighboring sovereign and friend, reigning in the south of his country. There he waits for the favorable moment to liberate his kingdom.Soundiata was seasoned at a young age in hunting, archery and was mithridated against poisons. He lived for years with the idea of revenge for the massacre of his family. One day an emissary tells him about the revolt of the Mande (or Mandingo) against Soumaoro Kante.He assembled his warriors (according to the oral traditions, he organized an army composed of ten thousand horsemen and a hundred thousand infantrymen), conquered the Fouta-Djalon, and launched attacks on the Sosso. His sister Djegue, whom Soumaoro Kante had married by force, fled and, according to legend, went to teach his brother that "only an arrow carrying a white cock ergot could kill the king of Sosso." Sundiata does what is necessary with the help of magicians attached to his service.Bringing together the armies of different small kingdoms in struggle against the Sosso, Soundiata Keita formed an army and succeeded in defeating the army of Soumaoro Kante in 1235 at the battle of Kirina, which eventually disappeared in a mountain at Koulikoro.Soundiata Keita unites all the kingdoms to constitute the empire of Mali. He is proclaimed "Mansa" which means "King of kings", and establishes his capital in Niani, his hometown (today a village in Upper Guinea). At the time of its inauguration, the brotherhood of the Mande hunters proclaimed the Charter of the Manden, which would abolish slavery and would be one of the first declarations of human rights (there is a controversy on this subject).

Towards 1240, King Sundiata seized Koumbi-Saleh, the capital of Ghana, and destroyed the city. He then took the title of emperor and sent his lieutenants to conquer the Bambouk.Soundiata is presented as a great administrator who develops trade, exploitation of gold and new crops (introduction of cotton). It organizes politically and administratively the subjugated peoples, implanting a solid military organization. The chiefs of his armies are installed as governors of the provinces. Soundiata, besides his warlike exploits, is known for his wisdom. Its tolerance allows the peaceful coexistence of Islam and animism in its Empire.

Soundiata Keita died in 1255, drowned in the waters of the Sankarani for some, killed by an arrow by treachery (or accidentally) during a feast in Niani according to others. At his death, Mali's empire stretches from the Atlantic to the Middle Niger, and from forest to desert.Soundiata Keita had three sons who succeeded one another on the throne of the Empire of Mali:- Mansa Oule Keita (called the Red King), a peaceful and pious ruler who extends the kingdom of Mali- Ouati Keita- Khalifa Keita.The successors of Mansa Oule, Ouati, Khalifa and Aboubakari, will lack authority and let anarchy reign in the empire.1235 at the battle of Kirina, which eventually disappeared in a mountain at Koulikoro.

I chose Soundiata Keita because he is a character whose story inspires me by his courage and his actions and I hope one day to remain in the memories of men as he did.

Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Soundiata_Keita&oldid=136213217

Sundiata Keita - Wikipedia
Manden Charter - Unesco Web Site - Manden Charter, named after the territory situated above the upper Niger River basin, between present-day Guinea and Mali. The Charter, one of the oldest constitutions in the world albeit mainly in oral form, contains a preamble of seven chapters advocating social peace in diversity, the inviolability of the human being, education, the integrity of the motherland, food security, the abolition of slavery by razzia (or raid), and freedom of expression and trade...