Sabine Kuegler

by Lauravista from SMAN 5 Bandung

sabine kuegler (bbc.co.uk)
sabine kuegler (bbc.co.uk)

Sabine Kuegler is one of my favorite heroes. She has a great life. I know this by reading her novel- Jungle Child. It based on her true story. Sabine Kuegler was born in 1972 in Nepal. She was five when her parents moved their whole family to the jungle of Western New Guinea. At 17, she left for Europe to pursue an education. After working in the hotel business, she tried her hand at marketing, before creating her own audiovisual production company. She lives in Munich with her four children.

Jungle Child is a novel written by her in 2005. What a wonderful novel! She wrote in a simple way but it has depth. I don't know why. It's so stark. Friends, Ladies, and Gentlemen, in my humble opinion, you must read this novel. The story is about her life in Papua- one of Indonesia's beautiful islands. In 1980, a seven-year-old Sabine Kuegler and her family went to live in a remote jungle area of West Papua, Indonesia, with the recently discovered Fayu - a tribe untouched by modern civilisation. They moved because of her father's project. Her childhood was spent not playing with dolls but with snakes and real bows and arrows, and eating not sweets but roast bat and insects. Aged seventeen, she attended a boarding school in Switzerland and gradually made her way back into Western society -- a journey that was at times painful and difficult, but one she ultimately survived, acknowledging that a part of her will always be a child of the jungle- Indonesian jungle. Sometimes I asked, why it had to be written by her - a German not an Indonesian?

Why do I choose her as my hero? Because she could inspire me and a lot of people. She got an outstanding ways to tell us her beautiful life. Life must be a beautiful thing, even maybe it can't, it will be beautiful its time, so enjoy your life and spread loves wherever you are, whomever you with, and whatever you are. I got this words by reading her novel.