Silken Laumann

by Quinn from Calgary

"I believe that life is a beautiful, challenging, terrible, and exhilarating experience, in which we must strive to realize our greatest potential no matter how forbidding that path." -Silken Laumann
This is a web of Silken. (I made it at school. (I made it.))

Silken Laumann was a professional rower. In her last competition before the Olympics, a nearby boat crashed into hers. Her leg was almost completely torn off, and she was rushed to the hospital (Read more if you want to know what happens next.) I chose Silken because she is very courageous and never gives up. Silken Laumann is very interesting to me because, with all odds against her, she pushed through and could never give up. Silken wrote her book: Unsinkable by herself, so it is an autobiography, it is also 290 pages long. She covers throughout her whole life, but mainly only talks about 10 weeks before she was invited to the 1992 Olympics for rowing. She wrote this book recently, Jan 17, 2014, so around this time last year. What is interesting about Silken is, she attended the 1992 Olympic games 10 weeks after almost tearing her whole lower leg clean off. With just 10 weeks of recovery, she reaches her goal. When she had her incident, doctors thought with the amount of splinters and flesh torn off, they would have to amputate her leg. Her muscle mass was so incredible, so strong, and so thick, her lower leg survived without having to be amputated. She now has three Olympic medals. These are the main reasons I chose and enjoy Silken Laumann.

This is a portrait of Silken Laumann. (I drew it at school. (I made this picture))

Silken Laumann was born November 14, 1964. She is 50 now, but she was born in Mississauga, Ontario. She grew up there, in Mississauga with her two parents Hans and Sigitta. They later divorced. She had a brother and a sister, Joerg and Daniele. Silken went to the University of Western Ontario and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1989. Silken had always been interested in rowing, surprise surprise. She always had dreams of making it to the Olympics, and that was part of the reason why she had worked so hard in 1992 to win the Olympics. When she was growing up, it was definitely hard for Silken because she explained in her book how her parents (especially her mom) would fight and sometimes share their rage with her and her siblings (I didn't want to say abuse). She was influenced I believe mostly by her mom, because she had spent so much time with her. I think she also looked up to the Men's Eight rowers, because when she was in treatment, she looked up to them so much. When she was growing up, she wanted to be part of the arts, later going to University studying and later graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree. When she was small, she used to watch rowing all the time on her TV. When rowing wasn't on, she'd make crafts and sculptures, she'd paint and draw and just loved to do activities like that. When she was watching rowing, I think she looked up for them and when she tried rowing she was instantly inspired.

Silken Laumann rowing 2 months after her accident (I drew this picture at school. ())

I think the biggest challenge she's ever faced was the tragedy that happened at a rowing competition. There were so many not only physical but emotional and mental challenges when the accident occurred. There were ups and downs, but I think she pushed through it courageously and intelligently. The best and smartest thing she did to overcome her challenge was believe in herself that she could and would make it, and she had so many supporters that really seemed to help her and lift her spirit. She succeeded with the help of her coach Mike, and all of her friends and family that helped believe in her. She always explained how Mike helped her by saying, "You can and will get back in that boat and you can and will push to that finish line." Silken was strong, committed and courageous. She showed this throughout her whole life, from ever since she could remember until now. When her mom and dad fought as a child, throughout her rowing career, and now with her family of 6. She now has developed autism, but whenever I think of Silken, I think 'What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger'. Her leg now has a permanent scar and she still walks with a limp. Her incident definitely impacted her the most, now she can't run as fast, or talk or think as well, but she is still a very inspiring person. She works now as an inspirational speaker. The most sad thing I think for her was when her mom abused her and her siblings. The way she spoke about her mom in the book told me she is still hurt. The funniest thing for her might have been when her family friend rolled her out of the hospital and they played on the grass. At one time, she fell face-first into the ground from her wheelchair, but she laughed until she cried. You know those times where you hurt yourself in public and try to laugh to hide it and end up crying? Yeah, it was like that. The biggest reward or award she got was a gold Olympic medal, and she lived through all the pain she faced.

I was really surprised when she won an Olympic gold medal just 10 weeks after almost splitting her leg in half. I was pleased because she pushed through one of the hardest things anyone could have. I wasn't disappointed with her at all, but I felt sad when she recently developed autism. Walking, and living a normal life is not optional, but is that really a bad thing? After all you've been through, if you had a chance to save your leg, would you take it? Would you go through it all again? If you chose a different sport as a kid, what would it have been? I would love to be an Olympic gold medalist's child, I mean who am I kidding? I would love to be her child, because she has gone through so much, and it would be inspiring just to stand next to her. The only reason I wouldn't want to would be because she is such a daredevil! I'd be worried about her all the time! I loved this book because she is so motivating and I think way more people should learn about what she's gone through. I'd give it a 7.5/10 because honestly, you don't really need to know if a leaf flew into her face as she sat patiently on the ground after eating lime gelato. No offense to Sliken! This was her first autobiography. I learned that even in the hardest times, never give up. Silken didn't, so why should I? Lesson learned: Never row too close to other boats. No, I'm just joking. I learned that she went through a pretty harsh childhood, harsh Olympic training, harsh accident, and this is just what we know of! She battles through everything she does, and that shows courage, commitment, motivation and inspiration. Now, whenever I feel like quitting or showing any signs of weakness, I look back on what I've read about Silken. I think, others may find it a little bit boring, because she describes a lot of information that is not needed but there are many thrills, accomplishments and break-downs. When I started reading, I have to be honest, I was very bored. When I got further into the book, it kept getting more exciting, so I think if they just get through pages maybe 1-50, it becomes more interesting. I'm very happy I chose Silken, because she has worked so hard and so long, I just think more people should know about her. There were sad parts, happy parts and thrilling parts, and that's what made the book stand out to me. Like I explained before, it was a little bit hard to get through the first 50 pages, and she describes a lot of unnecessary subjects, but overall 7.5/10. I definitely look up to Silken when I'm playing a game, writing a test or even just on my own time! I couldn't find a reason not to look up to her! She's just had so many things go on in her life, yet now she has 4 beautiful kids and a husband. I guess what I'm trying to say is, with every storm comes a rainbow.

Speaker's Spotlight - Motivational & Inspirational, it's Speaker's Spotlight
Maclean's - Keeping You Updated, Canada
Historica Canada - The Canadian Encyclopedia
Olympic.ca - Official Canadian Olympic Idols
The (Old) Sports Guy - Once upon a time, there was a sports column called... The Sports Guy. There still is, but this isn't that one. This is the old one. By a guy actually named Guy. Ergo, The Sports Guy. He's not old; the column is.