Stephenie Meyer

by Katrina von Rohr

"You have to understand that no matter what you do [with your writing], people are going to be mad at you."
Stephanie Meyer (www.dazzlemetwilight.com)

Stephanie Meyer, the gifted 34-year-old author, recently published her breath-taking finale to her 'Twilight' saga. Five years ago, Stephanie Meyer was a 29-year-old Mormon housewife who lived in Arizona, who had a strong relationship with writing. During one very rough summer, while her husband and three young boys slept, Meyer wrote a hefty amount of pages about a fiery romance between a smart, young girl who moved to live with her dad in the ever-so-lovely Forks, Oregon, and an attractive vampire who learned to live amongst people.

She became mystified as to how a housewife living in Arizona could enter herself into the bustling publishing world. She joined a small writers' group of supportive women who were working on Hallmark cards, trivia books, and song lyrics. One day, she spontaneously contacted a handful of literary agents as to who she had found on-line. She sent each of the agents a tease about Twilight. One of the agents took on Twilight and landed her a three-book deal for $750,000. (“I'd been hoping for $10,000 to pay off my minivan,” says Meyer.) Now the 34-year-old is a New York Times best-seller, a published author in over 37 countries, and a millionaire many times over. She is said to be the next J.K Rowling, and Twilight is to be bigger than Harry Potter altogether. Some say that nothing will ever beat Harry Potter.

Entertainment Weekly Cover Nov. 14, 2008 (Entertainment Weekly Magazine)

She also published an adult book, The Host, which is a vigorous blend of romance and science fiction. Meyer has inspired the lives of millions. Women everywhere have quit their day jobs to create and sell Twilight-inspired clothing and jewelry. Others claim to have purchased their very first computer just to create their own fan sites for Twilight. At a book signing, a teenage girl clutched a letter for Meyer saying that the books persuaded her not to take her own life.

Meyer always writes facing her kitchen, with music headphones on to tune out the joyful antics of her sons. She also prefers to keep her life and family private, not public. Her fan site, at one point in time, had pictures of her family. She and her husband decided that it would be best for them not to let fans get a hold of private valuables such as that. Stephanie refuses to let crazed fans drive her away from her western refuge. “Numbers are easy to change. Moving is harder. They'll have to drag me out of this place on a plank. Before I move, I'm going to put up a fence and get Shepherds. And then I'll have a button and get to say 'Release the hounds!' ”

Twlight Cover Drawing in which I drew
Twlight Cover Drawing in which I drew

Along with Twilight, she has an unfinished version of Midnight Sun which you can read on her fan site. Midnight Sun is Twilight's first chapter; just in Edward's point of view. He basically can't stop thinking about how he wants to kill her in front of everybody in their 11th-grade science class. Does he restrain himself long enough to keep his family secret? You'll just have to read the books to understand why I love them so much, and see Stephanie Meyer as a hero who ended up with more than she could have ever imagined.

The Official Website of Stephanie Meyer - Stephanie Meyer's Official Website
Twlight Central - Twilight Central on Entainment Weekly's Website
Entertainment Weekly's "The Vampire Empire" - Online version of where I found all my information