Sandra Day O'Connor

by Alex from Leawood

When many people think about heroes they think of a strong male figure that has saved someone's life. Others will think about women who have changed the outlook of what women can do. Sandra Day O'Conner was one such woman. She broke new ground for women in the legal field when she became the first women judge part of the US Supreme Court.

Sandra Day O'Conner was born on March 23, 1930 in El Paso, Texas. She lived on a ranch in Arizona and was always a good student. When it came time for college, she applied and got into Stanford. Graduating from Stanford in 1950 with a bachelor's degree in economics, and later attended the university's law school. After earning her degree, she worked in California. She later worked in Germany for a while until settling back in Arizona. When she returned back home she worked as Assistant Attorney General in 1960s. In 1969, she moved into state politics, and was appointed by Governor Jack Williams to the State Senate. This is where the hero in her was born. O'Connor kept on working her way up the ladder to get to where she ending up being. She began her judging career in 1974 when she became a judge in Maricopa County Superior Court. A few years later President Regan nominated her as an associated justice of the U.S. Supreme Court until 1981.

As the very first woman to be a justice in the Supreme Court she was known to firm, but just. She overcame prejudice and discrimination because she was a woman. O'Connor had to make a strong reputation for herself. She did just that for herself, and made a new reputation for women everywhere. She contained many heroic traits within her, and showing them through her life. She persevered. Throughout her whole life she kept working her way up to try to be the first woman to accomplish everything she did. Not only did she make history for women everywhere, but she raised a family too. She had three sons with her husband John, and moved with them from Arizona to Washington D.C.

So, overall Sandra Day O'Connor was a hero throughout her life. She had a goal in life, and worked hard to get it. Like other heroes, she worked hard to overcome obstacles that stood in her way, but was respectful to others, which carried her far in life. O'Connor retired from the Supreme Court on January 31, 2006. Although she may be retired, everyone will be remembered her as one of the most important women in history and as a role model for woman. "We don't accomplish anything in this world alone... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something." -Sandra Day O'Connor