Sarah Palin

by James from Shrewsbury

Palin at son's deployment ceremony  (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20080911/palin-army-ceremony/images/145c992e-df3c-4006-ade0-8a9f7fcb46d2.jpg)
Palin at son's deployment ceremony (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20080911/palin-army-ceremony/images/145c992e-df3c-4006-ade0-8a9f7fcb46d2.jpg)

It is hard to believe that over three years ago, Governor Sarah Palin was virtually unknown to a majority of thinking American citizens in the Lower forty-eight states. Like President Obama, Governor Palin's decisions made over the past two years have drawn praise, ridicule, adoration, and mockery. I cannot say how history will judge Sarah Palin fifty years from now; if it will look favorably upon her or with disdain. As of now, Palin would seem to be unpopular with a majority of the American public. To many, she embodies the image of the fear-mongering, intolerant bigot of the backwoods determined to obtain power she is neither ready for nor deserving of. But, putting politics aside for a moment, all I see is a kind woman who is concerned with God, country, and family. All I see is a woman who is unafraid to speak her mind, fully aware of the scrutiny she will face, and who has remained true to herself in spite of jaw-dropping success. She has stood up for women's rights, workers' rights, and has fought corruption on every level of her political career. She has defended her faith respectfully and coherently, and she has spoken glowingly on behalf of the military, while matching her words with her deeds. Palin and I may not agree on every issue, but political figures like her are few and hard to come by. Ultimately, Sarah Palin deserves better.

Gov. Palin: "I don't know if the task is from God, Charlie. What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision. What he decided to do, in serving for the right reasons in serving something greater than self, and not choosing a real easy path, where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer."

- Gov. Sarah Palin, Charlie Gibson exchange in ABC News Interview (September 11th, 2008)

"Because I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella, too."

- Jefferson Smith (played by James Stewart) in Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(1939)