Shiloh Pepin

by Autumn from Yucaipa

"No, better just deal with it and stick with the no answer."

Shiloh Pepin was born in Kennebunkport, Main in August, 1999. She is an eight year old girl with a rare disease called, "Sirenomelia", better known as "The Mermaid Syndrome". This condition is found about one out of every 70,000 births, and usually that one baby dies in approximately one or two days. She doesn't only have the disease she is also missing a ton of her main organs. No one expected her to live this long. Shiloh is one of the four in the world to survive Sirenomelia. She is the only one that won't separate her legs. Shiloh has to go through a lot. I consider her a hero because each day she has to go through the fact that today might be her last day. She also has to go through the teasing, and getting around, but the most important is that she never gives up on anything.

trying ballet (google images)
trying ballet (google images)

Each day Shiloh has to face the biggest fear... death. She understands that she is fighting for her life. This little girl has had over one hundred and fifty surgeries. She was only two years old when she had her first kidney transplant. She has gone through a lot of surgeries and now every one in the hospital knows her very well. Dr. Matt (Shiloh's doctor) asked Shiloh if she wanted to get her legs separated, But she refused. She said, "No, better just deal with it and stick with the no answer."

Shiloh goes to Consolidated Elementary School. She gets called names, teased, but she does have some friends. I think by now that you know that she can't walk because of her condition. Well since she can't get around by walking she has taught herself to pick herself up with her hands and scoot her body forward. Could you imagine having to wake up every morning knowing that you can't use your legs? I can, and it doesn't seem too pleasant.

As you read in the other paragraphs above that Shiloh goes through a lot. She never wants to give up either. It seems to me that Sirenomelia is a hard thing to live with. Put yourself in her position and just imagine having to live with fused legs and not give up or feel sorry for yourself. It's called perservering all the way.

She is one of the best types of heroes there are. These are the reasons I consider Shiloh Pepin a wonderful hero and I hope you do too. Just remember that you have it better than some people. Always be thankful and happy for what you have. Thank you for your time and I hope you consider Shiloh a hero too.