Steve Prefontaine

by Chloe from Riley

Prefontaine leads race and sets a new record for event. (flickr.com (Chip Gane))

Steve Prefontaine is one of Oregon's greatest sports legends. He was a phenomenal athlete and he captured the hearts of thousands during his running career. He continues drawing in more people than ever before now that he's dead. He died at the age of 24 in a car crash while coming home after a party. He left everyone wondering what could've been in his future. Steve Prefontaine is a legend because he gave every race his all, he was an activist, and he continues inspiring people after being dead for over 40 years.

He gave every single race everything he had, and although he died at 24 he had already claimed seven NCAA titles, he owned every American record between 2,000 and 10,000 meters and between two miles and six miles, he held eight collegiate records while at Oregon, and a fourth place Olympic finish. He had a total of 38 races at Hayward Field between 1970-75 and only lost three times. He captivated people everywhere with his go-for broke running style. "Steve Prefontaine did not care who he was running against, he was going to run as hard as he could for as long as he could."(Williams). However, it wasn't about his times or places, it was how he went about competing and how he lived his life that inspires people. "He'd go flat out every race and give it everything he had, and that's the way he was."(Williams).

He is known for being an activist and reformer in many areas. He was never afraid speak out about injustice. He volunteered often in the community at the junior high school and at the Oregon State Prison. He even started a running club for many of the inmates of the prison. "One of Pre's most famous stances was against AAU, the American track and field governing body, and its treatment of amateur athletes."(GoDucks). There is a documentary about him called "Fire on the Track: The Steve Prefontaine Story". There were also two movies made about him 'Prefontaine' and 'Without Limits'. Prefontaine's famous words live on as well, the most popular, "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

He continues inspiring people all over the world after being dead for over 40 years. "Nowhere is the legacy of Steve Prefontaine more acute than in the Pacific Northwest, where in the early 1970s he captured the hearts and minds of his fellow citizens as readily as he did headlines and first-place finishes."(Scott). In his hometown of Coos Bay they built a memorial and named streets after him. Every September they hold a Prefontaine Memorial 10K Run. He also has a jogging trail named after him that he used to train on. The University of Oregon also holds an annual Prefontaine Classic Track Meet. "The body might have died in that car wreck on Skyline Drive, but the spirit of Steve Prefontaine runs on."(Scott). Some say it's pretty difficult to grow up in Oregon and not know who Pre is.

Prefontaine wins another race fro Oregon. (runmoremiles.com ())

The story of Steve Prefontaine has been passed on by the media and by word of mouth. "His story was an everyman's tale of a guy from Nowhere, Oregon, who became a huge star based on his own hard work."(Williams). He continues attracting people of all ages and backgrounds and there is no one good answer to why. Cole Watson said, "He's a rebel. He makes this sport that isn't about contact and hitting people - it's not necessarily cool in a lot of other people's eyes - and he made it cool for us."(Williams). He knew he didn't have the speed or ability of other runners but he knew he could be great, he once said, "If other runners are going to beat me they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine is a legend because he gave every race his all, he was an activist, and he continues inspiring people after being dead for over 40 years. "What a great thing to do something in that short of a life that all these years later, it's not dying it's growing. The story is growing."(Williams).

USA Track and Field - USTAF hall of fame recognizes great track and field athletes
YouTube - Steve Prefontaine Nike Commercial
Legacy of Prefontaine - ESPN by Doug Williams

I am Steve Prefontaine.
I died at age 24.
I died in a car wreck.
I am an athlete.
I am an activist.
I am a runner.
I claimed seven NCAA titles.
I am from Coos Bay, Oregon.
I am a legend.
I am Steve Prefontaine.