Susanna Schuschanik

by Mona from Minnesota

Susanna Schuschanik was a daughter of Verdan and descendant of the Catholics, Isaac. "Susanna" means "small lily" which is a Hebraic name. Her parents were as devoted as she was. Her husband Vaske, governor of the Armenian part of Georgia, denied the Christian faith. He married a second wife and undertook Susanna, his current wife and her children to the Persian religion.

When Susanna found out that her husband had denied the Christian religion, she took her children and moved out of the palace and moved into a small flat, close to the church. She did this during the time her husband was gone, but when he came back, he was very angry. He asked priests and bishops to persuade her to come back to the palace, but she didn't listen. Finally, when Vaske menaced that he would take angry action against all of the Christians, she decided to move back to the palace. Although she lived in the palace again, she never ate with her husband.

So the prince got very angry, and hit her as long as he thought, that she had died. At the next day, when he got to know, that she was still alive, he put her into prison and tied her. Susanna had to be there for six years. She spent these years with praying, and even in the end, she still had hope. But shortly after she had found out that her three children were killed, she died with attendance of the bishop and priests.

She died in the presence of Samuel, the Catholics of Georgia, Johann, the bishop of the town, his priests and a lot of important and respected women of Georgia.

Her motivation was her faith and her strong belief in the Christian religion. She used her motivation to minimize physical pain. Her desired goal was to be a faithful Christian. She tried to live a virtuous life, educate her children well and make moral decisions, no matter how hard it was. Although she lived a long time ago she acted very liberal and emancipated. She had a strong personality and knew what was right and wrong. That's another reason why I chose her as my hero.

She changed the world because she showed us how much your faith can help you in difficult times. That the stronger you believe, stronger your faith makes you. This story can help everybody who despairs at the problems that face our world, but feel helpless and unable to act. We are not powerless. We have to find out what the problems of the world are, and resolve them by acting on guiding principles like the bible.

unbekannt. "Susanna Schuschanik." [Online] Available http://www.heiligenlexikon.de/BiographienS/Susanna_Schuschanik.html.

...this is the story of Susanna Schuschanik, a Catholic Saint. I think it is really interesting, so if you have time, you should maybe read it:) have fun