Poets

Sohrab Sepehri

by Saba from Tehran

137942Sohrab SepehriWikimedia Commons [Public domain]

Sohrab Sepehri, poet and painter, was born on October 7th, 1928 in Kashan, Iran. He got his high school diploma in Literature, then he got a bachelor of arts from Fine Arts Faculty of Tehran University. He worked for several governmental agencies such as Training and Education Culture Office, Oil Company, Hygiene Cooperation Organization, and so on. He pursued painting and poetry as a hobby for twelve years after his graduation. During these years he also traveled on several occasions to Europe and Africa. He published his first (Color's Death) and second (Dream's Life) collection of poems during these years, too.

In 1964 he completely left his governmental position and began focusing all his time, energy and talent on poetry and painting. He moved and lived in USA for one year, then spent about two years living in Paris. He didn't like these years and always said that these countries had nothing to teach him and said that Europe just had false beauty. At this time he painted several paintings with a soft and gentle style, which can be found in his poems. After these years he also traveled to India and painted several paintings there, then returned to Iran for exhibiting his painting.

137943Untitled by Sohrab SepehriSohrab Sepehri [Public domain]

In 1979 he was diagnosed with blood cancer and for the last time he moved to England for treatment. (Up to that time he had published eight collections of his poems). A year later, on April 20th, 1980, he passed away and now he rests in his birthplace, Kashan.

He lived very well and used all of his life's moments. He loved all and wronged no one. He loved the nature and if I can give him a present for his birthday, I will give him a tree. I'm sure that he's in paradise now.

"Footsteps of Water"
(a part of one of Sohrab's poems):

I’ve never seen two rival pines.
I’ve never seen a willow
Sell its shadow to the earth.
An oak happily gives
Its branch to the raven.
And wherever there is a leaf,
and in me, passion blossoms.