Steven Spielberg

by Liam from San Diego

(http://staticmass.net/the-directors-chair/steven-s ())

Who is Steven Spielberg? How did he contribute to society? What was he known for? Steven Spielberg, film maker, producer, screenwriter, and actor was born in Cincinnati, Ohio on December 18th 1946. Spielberg was raised with his three younger sisters. His father worked in the computer industry between the late 1940's and early 1950's. In Spielberg's childhood he had to relocate frequently due to new promising job leads that his father would be offered ("Steven Spielberg." Authors). As an amateur filmmaker growing up he moved around a lot and at one point in his life he spent a majority of his youth in Arizona ("Steven Spielberg" Biography.com). Spielberg did not only win multiple awards for some of the most popular and classic films, but is also a impactful and inspiring figure in society. He donated to multiple charities multiple times and even made his own foundation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spiel ()

Ever since Spielberg started filming he was motivated to get somewhere, and the film that got him a contract with Universal Studios was "Amblin". A film about a man's encounters while hiking across the Southern California desert. After the shooting of "Amblin" on November 11th of 1968 his career had started. After multiple releases of movies from Spielberg he had soon started filming one of his most successful movies to ever release and a movie claimed to be a classic by millions of people across the world.This film was better known as E.T. .E.T. was released June 11th of 1982.This film was a big deal and was successful. Years later it is still considered a classic and was one of the most important events to take place in Spielberg's life. 15th of November 1993 he released "Schindler's List"("Steven Spielberg" Important Events).This film was not as light and fictional as "E.T". . It was based on a true story about Oskar Schindler Schindler, a Nazi who had saved a majority of Jewish people and killed some. This movie was mostly made for the Jewish society since Spielberg was Jewish. He made this film to bring social justice and shed light and truth over the Jewish people.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/52987733092 ()

Steven Spielberg is a hero because of the funds that he has donated,and what he has done for the Jewish society. Spielberg made a film called Schindler's List dedicated to the Jewish society and used the money he made from the film to fund projects which impacted modern Jewish society. He also donated money towards the cause of engaging the Jewish youth to support the arts, bring social justice to Jewish people, and to promote tolerance. Righteous Persons Foundation was made by Spielberg "to engage Jewish youth,to support the arts",and "to" bring "tolerance and" social justice. "By fall of 1995 the foundation had made 30 grants",this "nearly" added up "to" 10 million dollars. Over the organization's first decade of existence $40 million was projected to be distributed ("Steven Spielberg" Charity). Spielberg had made so much money off of "Schindler's List" but instead of keeping the funds he felt that it would be disrespectful and that he would be carrying blood money. This act had a positive impact on many lives which is what makes it heroic and special.

While standing up for the Jewish society, Spielberg has also contributed to health and environmental causes. In 1997 Spielberg donated pediatric medicine to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in West Hollywood. He had donated so much that the hospital named a wing of the building after him.Spielberg is also a chair men for the STARBRIGHT Foundation which makes projects to help ill children with their emotional and physical challenges. Together, he and his wife, Kate Capshaw, chair the Entertainment Industry Foundation's Women's Cancer Research Fund. He and his wife also contributed to many more causes under the health department such as the Healthy Child Healthy World, International Medical Corps, (RED), and BID 2 BEAT AIDS ("Steven Spielberg" Inside Philanthropy). Spielberg shows that he does not just care for the Jewish society and that he cares for children with illnesses and cancer patients. Since they named a wing after Spielberg that shows how much he has contributed and how big of a deal his donations are. By donating to hospitals for medicine and being chairmen for a foundation to help ill children, he is committing heroic acts and saving lives.

Spielberg has also contributed towards animals and donated towards environmental causes. In the canyons of Brentwood there was going to be commercial development but Spielberg bought eight acres of land and gave the land to the Sullivan Canyon Preservation Association. He gave the land to that association so that they could exercise horses and freely roam ("Steven Spielberg" Inside Philanthropy). Spielberg bought all of that land and gave it to a foundation that would make good use of it shows that he cares for the animals and the environment. This also proves that he wants to see the land not go to waste for commercial development and corporate projects. Overall Spielberg has made numerous contributions/donations to different types of causes such as cancer,environmental and animal life, and ill /challenged children.

Spielberg also inspired people with his movies and how far he has came ever since he was a kid.Spielberg strived for greatness and worked hard and passionately towards filming ever since he was a kid. Spielberg has a big imagination that has helped him create films that were successful and that inspire other people. When Steven was young he often had admission for home movies and would even sell snacks like popcorn. At the age of 12 he had made his first script,and at the age of 13 he won a prize for his 40 minute war-movie (The My Hero Project "Steven Spielberg"). This is inspiring to others because this quote shows how far he came and how much he worked and progressed over the years. He started from making home movies and selling tickets to them to winning awards and writing his own scripts at a young age. Spielberg did not only inspire by his films and hard work in the industry. He also inspired with his donations, Spielberg has donated funds to hospitals so they could buy medicine. He has also been a chairman for other foundations along with his wife, and even made his own foundation known as the Righteous Persons Foundation. The Righteous Persons Foundation is a non-profit organization. Spielberg connected with his culture and made a huge impact on the Jewish youth by introducing them to the arts, promoting social justice, and tolerance. Spielberg displayed that he did not care about just one cause and that he wanted to help multiple foundations and charities that had different causes. Such as when he donated to the BID 2 BEAT AIDS or when he bought land and it to the Sullivan Canyon Preservation Association so it could be used for horse exercising and free roaming instead of having commercial development on the property. Overall Spielberg inspired people with his films and at the same time entertained and donated to different foundations for different causes. All these reasons and heroic acts prove why Steven Spielberg is a hero and an important figure in society that will never be forgotten.

Work Cited

"Steven Spielberg." Authors and Artists for Young Adults, vol. 24, Gale, 1998. Biography in  Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1603000407/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=df4797a0. Accessed

19 Jan. 2017.

"Steven Spielberg." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 14 Jan. 2016,

<www.biography.com/people/steven-spielberg-9490621.>

"Steven Spielberg: Charity Work &Amp; Causes." Look to the Stars, Look to the Stars,

<www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/steven-spielberg.>

"Important Events in Steven Spielberg's Life Timeline." Timetoast,

<www.timetoast.com/timelines/important-events-in-steven-spielbergs-life.>

"Steven Spielberg." IMDb, IMDb.com,

<www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/.>

"Steven Spielberg." Inside Philanthropy, Righteous Persons Foundation,

<www.insidephilanthropy.com/glitzy-giving/steven-spielberg.html.>

Sophie6. "The My Hero Project - Steven Spielberg." Myhero.com, 22 June 2016,