Shep Zitler

by Parker from Roseville

Shep Zitler showing a picture of his family

My hero isn't a fast runner, a scientist, nor is he a doctor, but he is still a huge source of inspiration to me and the world. Shep Zitler had many hard times when he was a kid, but he persevered through all of it. Being a Jew in Hitler's time was a rough life. So was living as a prisoner of war. Eventually, he moved to America. He has a wife and a son. Today he speaks to kids about his life. Point is that Shep never gave up, and that is why he is my hero.

Zitler's Family
Zitler's Family

My hero, Shep Zitler, was born on May 27, 1917 in Vilnius, Lithuania. In February 1939, Shep was drafted into the Polish army. He had never mixed with the Poles; they lived on one side of the street, and he lived on the other. He must have felt pretty bad fighting against one enemy alongside another. The Polish even said, "First we are going to take care of the Germans, then we are going to take care of you." On September 1, 1939, the Germans invaded Poland and started the war. Poland lost in just sixteen days. Shep and his unit were captured by Radom and taken to a prisoner of war camp. For five years and seven months Shep was sent to various camps and forced to labor around the clock just to stay alive. Finally, near the end of the war, after marching for two or three days, the Germans told them to lay down in a field and sleep. They were woken up by the Russian cavalry. After giving up their watches and many travels later, they ended up in London.

In his leave from the army, Shep got a job in London selling suits. He worked hard all week, and half a day on Sundays. He only received three pounds a week. After three years of hard work and great effort he got a break. Shep's uncle in New Orleans would sponsor Shep to go to America. On December 23, 1948, Shep's ship arrived in the United States of America. He stayed with one of his unit members who also survived the labor camp. "Shep," his friend said, "here in America we take a shower every night." He took a train to New Orleans. With no job, $32.15 in his pocket, and not speaking English very well, Shep had a lot of work ahead of him. He got a job selling shoes. He learned how to drive (in two hours!). He made a family. THAT is why he is my hero!

Throughout his hardships, Shep has shown me that if he survived those rough things, than I can survive my not-so-rough things. He is a source of inspiration to everyone, including me. All through his life, Shep was the underdog. He now has made a name for himself. He even spends time with kids, speaking of his hardships, to make sure a holocaust doesn't ever happen again.

In conclusion, Shep Zitler is a hero and a great man. How he was able to go from such hardship to make a pleasant life is just incredible to me! I can't believe what a great man he is. I hope that I can be like Shep Zitler.

Holocaust Survivors - Read stories of survivors.