Sacagawea

by Amy from San Diego

Sacagawea-like photo (http://home.earthlink.net/~swier/sacagawea_like_photo.jpg)

A shallow canoe floats on the river stream, barely touching the sparkling reflection on the water. Small chatters fill the canoe. A small cry calls for its mother under a tight blanket, a small pair of hands poke out as a woman carries the precious bundle into her arm. As much as she yearns to spend time with her son, she knows what’s most important now. Without future due, ties the life-filling child on to her back. The woman gazes at the rising sun barely at the horizon, motionless; like a golden statue. Sacagawea was her name; a young woman at the age of 16, carrying her new born son named Jean- Baptist, willingly guiding the Lewis and Clark expedition from and hopes to find the Northwest Passage demanded by Thomas Jefferson. In the year of 1804, the journey begins; 4,000 miles of land to explore, risks of hunger, rapid waters, and even death was hinted in this journey. 16 years old Sacagawea used her dedication, courage, and intelligence to complete the expedition of Lewis and Clark traveling 4,000 miles. She gives her all a young woman can give to be able to make America what it is today.

Sacagawea guiding Lewis and Clark
Sacagawea guiding Lewis and Clark

Sacagawea's courage to accept and face hardships is a heroic trait that should strongly be admired. There was a choice for Sacagawea: to accept the 4,000 miles of traveling or to reject. Sacagawea's kind heart brings her to say a yes. The journey was long and tough, but her courage never brought her down. “She was also instrumental saving much of the group's supplies when a canoe overturned"(American Ers. Detroit) Sacagawea confronted with furious rapids, flipping over their canoe, but she didn't let that drown her in fright. Sacagawea attempted to challenge nature. No matter how wet or deep in water she was, Sacagawea took her utmost strength to save as much of the traveler’s supplies. Sacagawea understands that their supplies are precious. If Sacagawea were afraid of hardships, she wouldn’t choose to attempt a save in cargo. Despite all the natural hardships, the big hurdle for Lewis and Clark were the Shoshone Native Americans who and that was one of the main reasons Sacagawea was with on the journey; to be an interpreter." She helped save two humans by communicating to her tribe members. She gave her all to the expedition."(Moulten Gary E.) Sacagawea also displayed her courage verbally. It may seem easy to communicate with members of your own clan, but taking to natives you don’t know in may not seem all that pleasant. Sacagawea must win the negotiation with her members in order for the travelers to pass safely. And it's one against one with more power. With her courage, Sacagawea was determined to win the verbal battle, which she did because of all the courage built inside. There are many different types of courage and these Sacagawea a fearless woman; displayed many, from the tough natural hardships to verbal one to one.

A statue of Sacagawea and her son in Bismarck, No

A hero always needs a warm, kind, dedicating, loving heart, and Sacagawea's the prime example of such one. How can we say a woman who travels with a baby are not kind hearted whatsoever? " Sacagawea aided in communication between the Shoshone and the explorers. Helped secure horses from the tribe for the explorers," (Moulton Gary E). Sacagawea took the patience to make sure not only she guide the two men correctly, but make sure they felt comfortable. Sacagawea dedicated her life to this journey making it feel safe and comfortable in any possible way. If Sacagawea didn’t have the kind heart, she wouldn’t go out and attempt to get them better horses for her fellow companions." In addition to serving as a guide, she knew how to find edible roots and herbs"(American Eras. Detroit). Sacagawea gave her all to this expedition finding ever-possible way, making her not only a hero, but also a warm hearted one. Gathering Herbs to make sure they have a healthy diet. These are all acts of kindness that only ones with pure kind hearts would do. She treats the travelers just like how she would treat her family; kind caring and loving.

Some say Sacagawea died of a fever, some say she died on the end of the journey. But we cherish her giving to this society by putting her on the golden dollar coin and building statues of her around the United States. A true hero has a dedicated spirit with a brave soul. A kind heart as well, whether it was an overturning of a canoe or a simple hunt for food, Sacagawea was there ready to give a hand, dedicating her life to this trip that impacted America for the rest of its decades.

Sacajawea (c. 1787–c. 1812 or 1884)." Dictionary of Women Worldwide: 25,000 Women Through the Ages. Ed. Anne Commire and Deborah Klezmer. Vol. 2. Detroit: Yorkin Publications, 2007. 1648-1649. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 15 Dec. 2010.

"Sacagawea c. 1788-c. 1884." American Eras. Detroit: Gale, 1997. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 15 Dec. 2010.

Moulton, Gary E. "Sacagawea." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2010. Web. 15 Dec. 2010.

Bellinger, Robert. "Sacagawea (c. 1788-c. 1884)." American Eras, Volume 4: Development of a Nation, 1783-1815. Ed. Robert J. Allison. Vol. 4. Detroit: Gale Research, 1997. Student Resource Center - Junior. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 15 Dec. 2010

Sacagawea as an evolving symbol of American Indian Women - A deeper look into Sacagawea's life.
Sacagawea - Biography of Sacagawea