Sacagawea

by Carissa from Hillside

Everything I did, I did for my people.

Carrying your infant child on your back while sailing on an expedition is very hard but Sacagawea overcame this hard experience. She sailed with Lewis and Clark on their voyage to the west. She is a hero in many ways. First of all, a hero is someone who has the determination to help others. Sacagawea is a hero because she led Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean, while carrying her infant child on her back. She is such an inspiration to me, because when I think of her I have the confidence to do anything.

During this expedition she played the role as an interpreter, diplomat, and peace symbol. The expedition started around 1805. On February 11, 1805, Sacagawea gave birth to her son Jean Baptiste Charbonneau. As the year continued she reached the Pacific Ocean along with the expedition.

After reaching the Pacific Ocean the journey home began in 1806. Lewis and Clark eventually split up, around July 3, 1806. Sacagawea tagged along with Clark. After a few weeks they were reunited. On August 17, 1806, Sacagawea and Charbonneau leave the expedition. But in 1811, Charbonneau sold his land back to Clark and leaves with Lewis.

Now that you know more about her, of course you would want to know some interesting facts. During this expedition she found her brother. Gee, I wonder where he was. Six years after the expedition Sacagawea gave birth to a daughter, Lisette. But, it is not known if Lisette survived past infancy.

Sacagawea was a well known Indian who has overcome many tragic events. She was loyal and a trusted friend to Lewis and Clark during the expedition. I am inspired by the way she helped so many people. I hope to be like her someday.