Healing a community: the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shootings

by
Permission to use this material
was granted by
The Christian Science Monitor
.

Eric Mueller places 27 wooden painted angels outside his home in Newtown, Conn., December 16, 2012, for the people who were were killed in a shooting on Friday at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Joshua Lott/Reuters

The names of victims from the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting are placed on teddy bears left at a memorial in Sandy Hook Village in Newtown, Conn., December 16, 2012. Worshippers filled Sunday services to mourn the victims of a gunman's elementary school rampage that killed 20 children and six adults, with the president due to appear later at an interfaith vigil to help this shattered Connecticut town recover.

A girl stands near a makeshift memorial for the victims of a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut early December 16, 2012. Twelve girls, eight boys, and six adult women were killed in the shooting on Friday, December 14, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Mike Segar/Reuters

US President Barack Obama prays during a vigil held at Newtown High School for families of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, December 16, 2012. Obama visited Newtown High School to meet with the families of the victims and to thank first responders to the school shooting here that was one of the deadliest such incidents in the nation's history.

Firefighters and other volunteers reorganize a memorial for shooting victims near Sandy Hook Elementary School before erecting a shelter over it, Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012 in Newtown, Conn.

Jason DeCrow/AP

MORE RELATED IMAGES

CAPTION
Giancarlos Oszorio, and his daughter Carlamarie, of Waterbury Conn., pay their respects at one of the makeshift memorials for the victims of the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012 in Newtown, Conn.
Mary Altaffer/AP

CAPTION
A Buddhist monk from Thailand leaves flowers for victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting at a memorial in Sandy Hook Village in Newtown, Conn., December 16, 2012.
Adrees Latif/Reuters

CAPTION
Mourners place candles and stuffed toy animals on a memorial for victims of the mass shooting in Sandy Hook village in Newtown, Conn., December 16, 2012.
Lucas Jackson/Reuters

CAPTION
A woman hugs a young girl as they arrive for services at Trinity Church, Sunday, December 16, 2012, in Newtown, Conn.
Jason DeCrow/AP