Oskar Schindler

by Brandi from Orem

Picture of Oskar Schindler
Picture of Oskar Schindler

Oskar Shindler was born in Hungry-Austria, on April 28th of 1908. His Parents were Hans and Louisa Schindler. He was born into a very wealthy, and Catholic family. During his teenage years, he joined the Nazi party and followed in the SS foot steps. As he got older he became a very heavy drinker, gambler, and even a womanizer. He was very good at making friends in the right places and was even known to be involved with the Gestapo crowd. He had connections every where. He was even arrested more than three times for suspicion of conspiracy, but some how managed to weasel his was out.

Cover of the Famous Movie Schindlers List

As the war grew more violent and aggressive toward the Jews, Schindler grew more determined to save those innocent lives. He got hold of a factory that made enamel for bath tubs and kitchen wear, hired Jews to work it and planned on making lots of money for himself. But as he got into it and to know the people, he was determined to save his family or as he called it Schindler's Jews. He worked very hard to keep them safe and away from harm right underneath Hitler's nose. He spent every penny he had, and every hour in his office at that factory and risked his life for the people he loved so dearly. He even had a list of those that he knew that he could save.

Oskar Schindler's factory in Krakow
Oskar Schindler's factory in Krakow

He was known to run a factory that would let husband and wife and even families with children stay together. Schindler is even suspected to have helped children escape the ghettos and travel to Poland where the Catholic nuns would take them in and claim that they were Catholic orphans, just to keep them safe. He saved over 1,300 Jewish men and women.

Oskar with a few of his Jewish survivors

Some characteristics that Schindler showed throughout his life would be, Bravery. He risked his life along with others wanting to help save those that he cared about. He pulled a lot of strings and jumped through many hoops of Hitler's corrupt Nazi system to do what he thought was right, even though the penalty for what he was doing could have been death. He fought with himself for awhile, at the begining with whether he could make a lot of money, or to save the people that he cared for. But as he got to know and love the people he chose to forget about the money and saved many countless lives with his connections and determined mind. He also didn't let race/ religion get in the way of making friends. Since it was against the law to shake hands with a German, his partner (a Jew) was very reluctant to shake his hand. But Schindler turned and basically said, heck with the law. I want to shake your hand. That was the beginning of this great man's journey of helping those who couldn't help themselves and a job that only he could have done.

Oskar Schindler's grave
Oskar Schindler's grave

Oskar Schindler Died in Hildesheim, Germany on October, 9th, 1974 at the age of 66. He was buried at the Christian cemetery at Mount Zion in Jerusalem, Isreal. I learned that no matter what the consequnces are, if you feel that something is wrong you must do whatever you can to make it right. And that you should stand up for people no matter their race, color, religion, or even gender. Because we are all human and no man should be treated with cruelty or disrespect. No man's life is worth less than your own, because it just may even be greater.