SeaBiscuit

by Megan from Colorado

<a href=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/seabiscuit/gallery/images/seabiscuit_10.jpg>Seabiscuit</a>
Seabiscuit

SeaBiscuit is an amazing horse that raced to win the hearts of millions of racing fans everywhere. This amazing horse was mistreated until a lucky day at a horse fair. A man nicknamed Red, real name unknown, found this horse in a small beat up stable with a name above, HORSE MEAT. Red walked up to the stable and started to pet this lonely, worn-down horse.

A few years later, after SeaBiscuit was nursed back to health, Red and SeaBiscuit raced together. Through thick, through thin, they raced. As they raced they won. But SeaBiscuit was still very skittish. Even when a car drove by, SeaBiscuit would run. But when Red was around he was fine and calm.

<a href=http://www.chapman-arts.com/tc/seabiscuitcollage.jpg>SeaBiscuit mural</a>
SeaBiscuit mural

One year, the racing year, SeaBiscuit was being trained to race. A big helicopter flew by and Red was just in the first stirrup when Seabiscuit ran. Leaving Red with a broken leg. But he and Seabiscuit kept on pushing to the top of the racing leader board.

As Anne Frank said, in Diary of a Young Girl, “It doesn’t matter how big or small you are, but the size of your heart." I think this is true for SeaBiscuit, too. Also, this amazing horse would be a Hero Near and Far, according to the book Hero's trail. Seabiscuit was loved by everyone.

Now the story continues, during one of the major races, leading up to the final leg of the race, Seabiscuit crumbled. A broken ankle was his fate. Leaving years behind of winning, letting millions of people down. While resting and trying to get better to race again, before Red knew it a sparrow flew by and Seabiscuit was running again. They started training again together and what do you know? SeaBiscuit was back on top and back in everyone’s mind as a winner.

SeaBiscuit Online
The Seabiscuit Heritage Foundation
Save Horses - provides links to many different organizations

SeaBiscuit is still in many peoples heads. Even mine. I love horses and I want to make sure they are kept safe.