Selena Quintanilla Perez

by melissa from Hobart

Selena was a Mexican singer who lived a short life. She was born in Lake Jackson, Texas. Selena helped me inspire my dream -- I don’t want to be a singer but I do want to never give up on my dream. Selena was born on April 16th, 1971 on Easter Sunday, and died in 1995. She inspired Latinos everywhere to never give up on their dreams. No one thought she could do it but she did --she made it to the "big time"! She was known for never giving up on her dreams! At that time not very many people who were Hispanic made it -- but Selena changed that! She never gave up on her dream!

Selena inspired me not to sing because I stink at it but to never give up! Everyone thought she couldn’t do it but she didn’t care what they said… she never gave up. She had the brains,looks and voice to become a big time star! If her so-called "best friend" wouldn't have shot her! When she was little she couldnt speak Spanish, but as she got older she became a spanish and english singer.

Selena was the singer in a band called Y Los Dinos with her brothers and sisters . She was the singer and her brother played the guitar and her sister played the drums. Their father would go to small clubs all around Texas so they would have some people to show off their talent to. She was married just for a few years to a man named Chris.

Once when Selena was in front of hundreds of fans and they were screaming, Selena put her finger to her mouth and all of a sudden the fans all quieted down and were silent!!! Then as she started to sing all the fans started to cheer for her. She was one of the most famous singers of her time.

Selena is my idol because she never gave up on her dream! A lot of people didn't think she would or want her to succeed. But she never gave up on her dream. She had everything a good singer needed to become a star -- she had skills and she had beauty! Selena had it all!