Shasta

by KC from Surprise

kc

Shasta is my hero. She is my hero because she has saved many lives. She has 4 areas of certification: She has been trained to find people lost in the woods, drowned, buried in avalanches, and cadavers. Over her career, she has had three finds, all of them with drowned people. On her first find, she was not even certified to do the search, but for training purposes she tried, and succeeded. Shasta has been retired since January 1999 because of spinal cord injuries. ever since she retired, she has developed some nervous twitches such as "chewing" her feet to burn energy.

Her trainer's hard work and patience in training Shasta over the years enabled her to use her keen sense of smell to help people in time of need. Shasta's trainer never gave up on her, even in times when she was not doing well. That is why Shasta is one of my heroes.