Shawna

by Brittany

My hero and me
My hero and me

To most people a hero is someone who saves lives or does great things for the world. A firefighter can be a hero to a little girl that was pulled from a burning building. That isn't the one that I have. A hero to me is simply a person that has made my life better. That is my definition of a hero.

My hero is Shawna. Born to a poor farming family in Canada she worked hard to get an education. Because she doesn't have a degree she has to work for less then those under her. She is a mother of three. Her first born daughter was born with Down Syndrome. If the doctors would have known they would have suggested aborting her pregnancy but she wouldn't allow it. She stopped going to that doctor because she didn't like the ethics they had.

She is awesome. Always making selfless choices for the good of those around her. She makes people feel like they are so important. She always knows what to say, when to say it, and why you need to her it. These have to be a characteristics of a hero or what else is.

I have learned so much from her. She is like a second mother to anyone that needs her. She is selfless in her service to the community. She takes care of her neighbors especially those with problems. The little girl next door has leukemia Shawna is always helping the family. Whether that is by watching the other children in the family while the parents are at the hospital with Emily or just making Emily grateful to be alive.

If everyone in the world had the same qualities as Shawna Gygi there wouldn't be a need for police. She fits the my description of a hero perfectly. I know that she is someone that will help others as long as she is able to. That is why she deserves to be my hero.