Poets

sheldon allan silverstein

by christina

MY HERO! Sheldon Allan Silverstein

Shel Silverstein was a famous poet, song writer, and cartoonist. He was born in Chicago, Illinois 1930. When he was a kid he grew up in Chicago. He didn’t have anyone to inspire him; to look up to; a hero. He said that he wasn’t very popular and wasn’t into sports, so he spent his time drawing cartoons. Then he joined the army at about age 30 and fought in Japan and Korea.

He used to draw cartoons about the army. Then he drew cartoons for some playboy magazines. Then he started to write songs and books and poems of about different emotions. He wrote about 9 books for children including: The Light in the Attic, Falling Up, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and The Giving Tree!

These are personally my favorite books! Later he died May 10th 1999 from heart failure. Shel Silverstein is my hero because he inspired me to write poetry and now I’m a published writer for one of my poems.

"You Can Never Have too Many Shoes!"

Look way down and what do you see?
That big huge material stuck on your feet
With ties and twist and turns and knots
It’s time to get new shoes
You don’t think so than follow me
There’s a lot of things for you to see
Sketchers, Nikes shoes! Shoes! Shoes!
Just in case you’re of the choice of two
Always remember this---you can have too many shoes!!!!!!

- Christina Jonathan 04

I think he is a great roll model for poets of all ages!!!!!

Shel Silverstein (http://tonova.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/shel_silverstein.gif)

D Carlson, Anne. "Worldbook . "chigago,illinois: WorldBook Inc. , 1997. Vol. 17