Library

Spiderman

by Matt from St. Louis

A hero is someone who can remain resilient in any situation. Heroes can overcome personal tragedy and gain strength from it. They have the fortitude to stay calm under any circumstance and do not give up even in the most dire of situations. They are supportive, protective, and reliable. Furthermore, heroes have the courage to stand up for their rights and the rights of others. That is why my hero is the Amazing Spiderman.

The choices that Peter Parker made make him a hero. Peter chose to use his powers for good although most people probably would have used those powers to commit questionable acts. Peter chose not to abuse his gifts. He had many opportunities to abuse his abilities, but he always chose the honest path. The most important choice that Peter Parker made was to remain Spiderman when it caused him to endure so much suffering. A normal person would have given up after having to go through the torment that Spiderman went through, but Peter chose to continue to help those in need. Peter Parker made difficult decisions that only a true hero would make.

Spiderman has endured many personal tragedies. The first tragedy of Peter’s life, and the event that lead him to decide to use his powers responsibly, was the death of his uncle Ben. The death of his uncle was the turning point of Spiderman’s life because he turned the guilt he felt into something positive by helping others. Another tragedy in Spiderman’s life was when the Green Goblin murdered his girlfriend Gwen Stacy. The guilt from this event would have crushed a normal man’s spirit, but Spiderman used it as motivation to continue his duty of protecting people. Also, Peter’s Aunt May had perpetually poor health. Spiderman worried about her but saving people had to take precedence over watching over a sick, elderly woman. Spiderman’s ability to overcome so many tragedies makes him a real hero.

The most important quality that Spiderman has is that he never gives in. Spiderman never backs down from an enemy and never runs away. He uses his high intellect to find a way to win. Also, Spiderman uses wit and humor to confuse and agitate enemies and gain confidence. His intelligence and wit are a major part of Spiderman’s arsenal. Without them, he would probably not be able to come out on top every time. Even when a situation seems hopeless, Spiderman finds a way to persevere. That is why he is a worthy hero.

Spiderman is a hero because he chose to use his powers for good instead of abusing them for his own gain. He is my hero because I believe that choosing to be a decent person is the greatest decision of all. People need heroes to look up to as examples of how to live their lives. Since most heroes are good, people should try to be good like them. A true hero can make the choice to be an asset to humanity even when that choice might bring misfortune upon them.

Marvel Universe - Gives info on many of the Marvel comics characters.