Spongebob Squarepants

by Hilliary from Simpsonville

SpongeBob Squarepants (http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/15837.gif)

We all know SpongeBob as the one “who lives in a pineapple under the sea,” but do you ever think of him as one of the greatest heroes of all time? I do. I know, it may seem like SpongeBob is no match for the Nelson Mandela’s of the world, but I say he is a very well equipped candidate as a hero.

SpongeBob Squarepants may have never saved a life (except in the SpongeBob Squarpants Movie, when he saves Mr. Krabs from the threat of King Neptune) but he is a role-model and someone to look up to. The way I see it, SpongeBob has three main qualities that make him a hero and role-model to all; patience, friendliness, and a good attitude.

Let’s play a game. Pretend you are a working guy, you have a house, a pet, but no car. You walk to work everyday and take the bus anywhere else. You have been trying to get your driver's license since you can’t remember when and no matter what you do you can never pass the test. Undoubtedly you will be sitting in the same drivers’ ed. class next week and many weeks after. On top of this, your drivers’ ed. teacher strongly dislikes you. To go through this process week after week is hard enough; however, try doing that without ever getting angry or quitting. In many episodes SpongeBob is either in boating school, taking his test, practicing his boating skills, or dealing with his teacher, Mrs. Puff. Every attempt SpongeBob makes at passing his test backfires, and he always fails. Despite this, SpongeBob never gives up, which shows great patience and perseverance (qualities every hero should have).

SpongeBob is the friendliest character on T.V. Any avid watcher would know SpongeBob is never mean or rude to anyone. Nope, nobody, nada, zilch. His best friend is Patrick Star and although they have many differences, they always work out their issues (brownie points for Sponge). SpongeBob’s neighbor, Squidward, isn’t so nice. In other words, he is the Lex Luther of Bikini Bottom. Squidward never fails to attempt to bring SpongeBob down. On more occasions than one (many many more) Squidward has said or done something rude to SpongeBob, but do you think SpongeBob takes that? No he doesn’t. SpongeBob is always nice to Squidward no matter what he dishes out. SpongeBob loves everyone and would do anything even for a stranger. For a hero to be a true hero they must love each and every person for what they are in order to truly “save the day”.

The last important quality SpongeBob shows is a good attitude. I’m not talking about a ‘pretend good attitude’ you get at a fast food place, but a genuinely good attitude. SpongeBob is always happy. Note the underline. He works at The Krusty Krab with Lex Luther and a cheap old crab, literally. Despite this, he is always at work on time and does whatever Mr. Krabs tells him with a smile. SpongeBob never complains about anything and is easy to please. SpongeBob has a great attitude and a kind personality.

I grew up watching SpongeBob and many students my age did as well. This is a good thing, apart from the fact that maybe this shows we watch too much T.V, but SpongeBob is the perfect role model, and he is everywhere. SpongeBob has CD’s, merchandise, movies, and of course, the ever-popular television show (I myself own a couple of SpongeBob products, my favorite being a pair of SpongeBob socks). SpongeBob Squarepants is played in many countries, and I personally believe that he is the perfect universal character. I mold myself after SpongeBob, and I try to have his good attitude. I have been doing this for a while and I must say, life is better. I wake up every morning with a good attitude and say hello to everyone I know. It is important to say hello to everyone so they will in turn have a good day also. Everyone likes to feel important. SpongeBob has taught me this lesson and not only has it changed my life, but is has changed the lives of those around me as well. Props for SpongeBob!