St. Cecilia

by Paige from Dearborn

Do you like to listen to music? Do you play any instruments? If so, then you might be interested to learn about Saint Cecilia. Saint Cecilia may have been born in the first or second century, though no one knows for sure (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). Saint Cecilia came from a rich family in Rome ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). She was born a pagan, but she studied the ways of god (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). Her parents arranged for her to marry a pagan named Valerian (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). After that, Cecilia's life changed, in a holy way.

When Saint Cecilia was betrothed to Valerian, she heard music playing in her heart (s J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). On the night of her wedding Cecilia said she had another lover, an angel in which she vowed to keep her virginity to the Lord ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). Valerian didn't believe her and said that he wanted to see the angel ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). Her response was "If you believe in the one true and living God and receive the water of baptism, then you shall see the angel." When Valerian came back after getting baptized, he saw the angel standing next to Cecilia ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline).

Saint Cecilia helped many people convert to Christianity such as her husband, his brother, and many others ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). Shortly after converting her husband and his brother, they were arrested, along with Cecilia (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). When Cecilia was captured, she was ordered to be suffocated and was thrown into a bath of water (Leonard Foley "Saint Cecilia"). When they came back the next day, they were dumbfounded to find Cecilia alive and somehow breathing (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). The executioner then took her and threw her into a burning house (Leonard Foley "Saint Cecilia"). When he came back later, he was baffled to find Cecilia not even sweating (Leonard Foley "Saint Cecilia"). After that she was ordered to be beheaded but when the executioner showed up, she converted him too (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia)! The executioner struck her in the neck three times with a sword, and amazingly she lived three days after (Leonard Foley "Saint Cecilia").

Cecilia was a strong girl. She showed that people can be anything they want to be and even if they are stopped, you will be remembered. "I am only too happy to suffer all kinds of torments for the confession of Jesus Christ (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia)". The name Cecilia means blind, although it is not certain that she was indeed blind (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia). Saint Cecilia is the patron saint of music, musicians, poets and the blind (J.P. Kirsch "Saint Cecilia).

I choose Saint Cecilia as my confirmation saint because I am a musician. Saint Cecilia helped convert people to believe in God ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). She helped us to never doubt God ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline).I like Saint Cecilia because she did not let people get in the way of her religion and she also didn't let anyone tell her how to live other than God and her angels. Saint Cecilia was found in-corrupt in 1599 by archaeologists ("Saint Cecilia" Jennifer Hartline). Her body is now placed in a Catholic church in Rome.