St. Peter the Rock

by Matt from Mankato

Not much is known about the early life of Peter, except that he was a fisherman, probably born in the village Bethesda or Capernaum. His original name was Simon.

At the beginning of Christ's ministry, he was walking by the shore of the sea, when he called to Peter and his brother Andrew, "Come and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) They dropped their nets and followed him.

During the two years when he followed Jesus, he witnessed many really cool miracles, including the cure of his own mother-in-law of a fever. Peter also failed many times with his faith. When Jesus was walking on water, he asked Peter to come to him. Peter set out with confidence, but was suddenly overcome with fear and started to sink. Situations like this were common for Peter, his faith was often overcome with fear.

Peter failed Jesus when he was called upon to stay awake while Jesus was praying at Gethsemane, Peter fell asleep like the rest of the apostles. As Jesus had predicted, Peter denied three times that he knew the Lord. Once Peter realized he failed, he was filled with remorse and vowed to change his ways.

After the resurrection, Jesus appeared to Peter and gave him the responsibility of carrying on his work on earth. Peter took up the leadership challenge with the resolve that came from knowing he would never be alone. Throughout Peter's campaign he laid the foundation for the popes of the next milleniums to today.