Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking

by Bryan from Mill Valley

I think a heroes are defined by the actions and thoughts that they have. Not the thoughts such as “I want world peace,” but thoughts such as “I want world peace and I’m going to do something about it.” I also think that courage and the willingness to give something up, even your life, to help others can be important traits of a hero.

Albert Einstein is a hero because his achievements have increased our knowledge of the world and science. This can be considered heroic because it advanced mankind toward the increased knowledge of physics. Einstein also used science in daily life to help human beings. He had patents on developing things such as a noiseless refrigerator and a light intensity self-adjusting camera. He also had a patent on hearing aids which would make him a great hero in the eyes of the hearing impaired. He is classified as a physicist.

Stephen Hawking is the same type of physicist as Einstein, but a hero in a different way. He is known for his achievements, but probably because of his disabilities. He is confined to an electronic wheelchair and speaks through a special computer. In a British Broadcasting Company interview* Hawking said, “I’m sure my disability has a bearing on why I’m well known. People are fascinated by the contrast between my very limited physical powers, and the vast nature of the universe I deal with. I’m the archetype of a disabled genius, or should I say a physically challenged genius, to be politically correct. At least I’m obviously physically challenged. Whether I’m a genius is more open to doubt.” Stephen Hawking is a very good role model. Although he is confined to a wheelchair and instead of giving up, he has developed ways to communicate and has become a great physicist.

These two great men are alike in the way that they are both physicists. They also have both used technology to help themselves and others. Einstein may have developed a noiseless refrigerator and a hearing aid to help himself as well as others. Stephen Hawking uses his wheelchair and computer to help himself get along but in the process it helps others as a role model.