Stephen Robert Irwin

by Mike from Blue Sky

My hero is Stephen Robert Irwin, though most of you probably know him simply as Steve Irwin The Crocodile Hunter. Steve was born February 22nd 1962 in Essendon, a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria. Shortly after being born Steve moved to Queensland with his parents. His parents started a small Queensland Reptile and Fauna Park where Steve was constantly surrounded by crocodiles and other reptiles. He grew an instant passion for all animals, especially reptiles. On his sixth birthday he received a 12 foot python, and he handled his first crocodile at the age of nine.

Steve's show "The Crocodile Hunter" first hit the screens in 1996 where it spread like wild fire to North America. He made several movies and appearances on TV by 1999 making him known world wide. Steve Irwin was not out for fame though, he was an educator.

Steve Irwin felt that it was his personal mission to educate the world about wild life conservation. He started the show and made the movies so that he might teach others about the animals he loved so much. He taught so many people about the importance of saving and protecting wild animals, even the scaley ones. Steve Irwin has touched all of our lives whether you realize it or not. Even for those who didn't learn the lessons he had to teach, he probably captured you with his exuberant and enthusiastic personality, broad Australian accent, signature khaki shorts, and catchphrase "Crikey!"

Steve is my hero because he is just all around a great person. He had such a great passion and care for animals. He has inspired people everywhere to help save the wild life. Even though he died tragically, i know that his teachings will go on. His daughter Bindi has the same enthusiasm for wild life as he did when he was her age and i know that she will grow up to be just like him.

On September 4, 2006 Steve died a tragic and ironic death. The man who wrestled deadly behemoths for a living was not killed by the crocodiles he loved so much. Instead he was pierced through the heart by the barb of a stingray. This event shocked the world. People everywhere felt the loss of the beloved animal enthusiast. We will miss you Steve. Rest in peace.