Sweetie

by Verena from Boulder

Man's best friend, my dog Sweetie was my best friend since I was two.

She came to me in April, the little nervous pup was the only one that I wanted. There was something about her little brown face that I could not resist. Sweetie and I grew up together. We were inseparable, where there was one the other was always close by. She was always there for me when I was sad or needed a friend. She wouldn't criticize me, or judge me when I made a bad choice, she only listened to what I had to say. She was the only one I could truly express my feelings to.

As the years passed our bond only got stronger, I could always count on her to welcome me after school. One day she wasn't there to welcome me. My perfect little pup had had a stroke and was not doing well. She was sitting on the floor, unable to move, her whole world spinning, as mine was crashing. My mom and I put her in a little box with pillows at the bottom. We offered her food and water but she wouldn't take any. It is the worst feeling in the world to see your best friend dying and to know that you cannot do anything to help her. My mom and I stayed with her for two weeks tending to her every need. She could not move so every time she went to the bathroom we would have to wash her and change her bedding. For two weeks she lay in that box, helpless and hopeless.

By the third Wednesday we knew that it was time. My dad and I loaded her little blue box into the car and drove to the vet. Once we got to the vet we were the only ones there. We went into the cold white room and set her down on the metal table which was covered in fluffy blankets. I leaned over and kissed her fluffy face for the last time. I told her that she was truly my best friend and we would see each other again someday. That was the last time I saw my precious little Sweetie. Even though she is gone I know that she is still with me, and she always will be.

A hero is somebody who is there for you no matter what. Sweetie was my hero because she was always there when I needed her, she was there through the happy times and the sad. Sweetie helped make me the person I am today and I am forever grateful for her.