Tommy Clement Douglas

by Morgan from Alberta

"Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world."
<a href=http://www.dcf.ca/en/media/tommy_photos.htm>Thomas Clement Douglas</a>
Thomas Clement Douglas

When I think of a hero I think of a person who makes the quality of life for other people better, I think of Tommy Douglas. Thomas Clement Douglas is a good natured Scottish man who moved to Canada aspiring to be a priest, but became one of Canada's greatest leaders in history. I chose Tommy Douglas for my hero for a number of reasons: he was to run a socialist government and campaigned for indoor plumbing in all houses. But his greatest accomplishment was Health care. Health care is a system that allows everybody to get the care they need, when they need it. Without Tommy Douglas' invention many Canadians couldn't afford to go to the doctor or hospital to get the treatment they need.

<a href=http://www.dcf.ca/en/media/tommy_photos.htm>Tommy Douglas doing speaking</a>
Tommy Douglas doing speaking

Tommy was born in Falkirk Scotland and immigrated to Canada when he was young. Before he wanted to become a priest, Tommy boxed in the lightweight championships and was involved in Boy Scouts. He later became Boy Scout leader and participated in many plays at a local restaurant. When he was a bit older he worked at a print shop as an apprentice and made forty dollars a week! This was the family's main income for the next four years. It was during this time Douglas really got involved in church. He led mass every Sunday and decided to save up to go to a religious collage. He finally became a priest and helped many people through the depression, but was inspired to get into politics because he thought he could help more people that way.

Tommy Douglas is my hero for a couple of reasons, but the two reasons that stand out the most are his creation of health care and how his hard work and determination really paid off. Tommy was a priest during the start of the Great Depression, but he decided that he could help more people through politics than religion. He ran for the first time in 1934 but was disappointedly defeated, but this didn't stop him from running again in 1935. This time he did succeed, and he served his position for the rest of the depression (nine years), but then went on to be Saskatchewan's premier for the next seventeen years. It was during this time that he came up with Medicare, so everybody who need medical attention could get it, no matter what their financial status. Tommy made this system because he wanted to make the quality of life for everyone better. He didn't give up until he made a difference, that is why he is my hero.

<a href=http://www.dcf.ca/en/media/tommy_photos.htm>Tommy doing a speech</a>
Tommy doing a speech

Thomas worked in politics for twenty-six years and accomplished many things. But sadly he retired from politics in 1979. He started working for Husky Oil in 1980. He worked until his death on February 24, 1984. Even though Tommy is not still here today, we still remember him as the father of health care.

Thomas Clement Douglas is my hero because of the great things he accomplished in his life. First of all his creation of Medicare, which has helped millions of Canadians. Second his help and leadership even through tough times. Most of all his determination and hard work that proved that even if you don't succeed the first time, try again!

Tommy Clement Douglas - CBC Archives