Tommy Prince

by Kris from Ontario

"The most decorated Native soldier in the Canadian Army"
<a href=http://www.nativevets.com/images/Thomas_George_Prince.gif>Tommy Prince</a>
Tommy Prince

Tommy Prince was born on October 15, 1915, in Petersfield, Manitoba. Tommy’s family wasn’t very wealthy. Tommy was interested in tracking, shooting rifles and exploring nature.

One of Tommy's hobbies was hiking. One of his goals was to be a lawyer but his parents couldn’t afford to put him through the schooling for it.

Tommy attended Elkhorn residential school. He achieved a grade 8 level of education. Tommy participated in World War 2, he entered it in 1939.

Tommy's biggest dream was to become a lawyer but since his parents didn’t have the money, he became a lumberjack when he finished school.

In Tommy's journey he served his country in World War 2 and Korea. He was the voice of native people in government. He helped to get money to build houses and schools. Tommy had some difficulties along his journey. He ended up with arthritis. Also he couldn’t get a good job because he was a Native American.

Tommy was a hero, he had the highest medals of bravery. He saved a man from drowning in the Red River. He was a spy in World War 2 by acting as a farmer and telephoning where the Germans were located. He accomplished the longest shot medal.

Tommy Prince - Wikipedia
Tommy Prince - Veterans Affairs Canada