Tim Berners-Lee

by Brian from San Diego

This website only exists because of the World Wide Web, created by Tim Berners-Lee.

The Internet is a vast computer network that links smaller computers together. It is not to be confused with the World Wide Web which is what makes up web pages and domains; through these web pages it increases communication through the entire world, letting people have a voice. The World Wide Web would not exist without the help of Tim Berners-Lee, the father of the World Wide Web. Tim Berners-Lee was born in London and both his parents were computer scientists, which must have inspired him to seek a career with computers. After finishing college he started to work at a company then moved on to CERN where he began work on different systems concerning connection between computers. This was also the base where he materialized the idea of the World Wide Web, and was the only one who created it. A hero must be diligent, so that they are able to focus their efforts into revolutionizing the world and making it an even better place than how it is from then on. They must be intelligent so that they know what kind of ideas that the world needs in its current situation, and how to go about solving problems. The last quality that defines a hero is that they must be creative, so that they may have innovative ideas that can change the world for the better. The World Wide Web was the product of all these traits, and those traits belong to a man named Tim Berners-Lee. The World Wide Web introduced a new form of communication in the world that impacted millions of people's daily lives by gifting them with a voice that can be heard by people all over the world, through videos, blogs, and other social media. It is all thanks to Lee's diligence, intelligence, and creativity that allowed him to create the World Wide Web; which helped the world to communicate with itself, and the world as it is now proves him of being a hero.

Tim Berners-Lee diligently worked on creating the WWW during his employment at CERN. He worked on networks pertaining to connections between the company's computers, as well as creating the World Wide Web, which through his hard-work would change the world. Lee worked determinedly on any task that would improve technology that would help people in any way. "In 1978 he left to work for D. G. Nash Ltd., where he wrote programs for the typesetting machines that were used to print books. He also developed a program that could "multi-task"-in other words, enable a computer system to perform several tasks at the same time."( Tim Berners-Lee (Biography Today); 2010, p1-1, 2p).At his company, Lee already worked hard in order to create technology that would make the human life easier. This shows how Lee is a hard worker and how he uses his own efforts in order to create a better world for people with the types of things that he creates. Throughout his job at CERN, Tim Berners-Lee energetically worked as a computer scientist in order to create something that would improve the world through the internet. "In his free time at CERN, Berners-Lee created a program for storing information that utilized random associations rather than the fixed associations of bits of data that was the norm at the time. The program, developed with colleague Robert Cailliau, was to help him remember connections among the many different people (more than ten thousand in the CERN phonebook), computers, and projects at CERN. He dubbed this software program Enquire"(Tim Berners-Lee Biography Today; 2010, p1-1, 2p). Lee helped to create programs that would improve human communication. He put in his time and effort because he wanted to improve the world in the one way that he could, which was through technology. His diligence in his work and other things show him to be a hard-working individual who cares about the world and does what he can to improve it.

Tim Berners-Lee used his intelligence in order to improve the current technology and to create something that would be of use to humanity. His mind helped him as he finished school and started to work, at a place where he would start to create evolved technology that would soon change the world due to his advanced mindset. "He left Nash in 1980 to work at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known as CERN, in Geneva, Switzerland, where he would lay the groundwork for a creation that would literally change the way most people see the world."(Murphy, B. Keith, and Murphy B. Keith. "Tim Berners-Lee."). In order to create the WWW in the first place Lee would have to be smart enough to have a company recognize his individual genius and accept him into their ranks. CERN recognized his intelligence and offered him a job to have him create new programs for them, knowing full well that he'd be able to do what they expected and soon after he did even more than that. Through his brilliance he would be able to work at CERN and discover what kinds of things he can do with computers, and create the World Wide Web. It would be used  for the good of humanity, helping all the people who can use it and give endless possibilities with the use of the WWW. As he worked in CERN he had opportunities to make significant contributions to systems that were created within the company. "He was granted a fellowship the following year to work on real-time systems for scientific data acquisition and control. He quickly made significant contributions to the FASTBUS system of software and designed a remote procedure call system (an RPC system) to enable myriad computers and networks within CERN to communicate with one another."( Tim Berners-Lee (Biography Today); 2010, p1-1, 2p). The acknowledgment of his intelligence caused the company to allow him to work on data control, which would then allow the company to communicate with each other easier. It's all due to his intelligence that the process was improved and that the workflow of the company was smoother due to better communication of systems. By creating the networks between computers, Lee presented his intelligence and his actions that would lead up to the invention of the WWW. The network was one small thing that improved the workflow, but the WWW would vastly improve human life, by letting people find information relatively easy. Tim Berners-Lee's intelligence led to the recognition of his skills, causing a company to hire him, where he would be able to have a bigger impact in technology that would benefit humanity. His brilliance displays him as a hero, due to the fact that, with that intelligence he created something that changed how people live their lives for the better.

The idea of the WWW was a unique one, and it took a creative mind, such as Tim Berners-Lee's, to think of such an idea. He was the first person to think of the idea and actually act upon it, and create it. Tim Berners-Lee created the WWW in order to allow the general population to share information without much knowledge of computers. "The World Wide Web, developed primarily by Berners-Lee and Cailliau, drives the popularity of the Internet. The Web had made it possible for nonspecialists to access and share knowledge and media electronically without knowing a thing about how computers work."( Great Lives from History: The Twentieth Century, September 2008, p1, 3p) Tim Berners-Lee's invention caused the general population to be able to share knowledge, which would then lead to new opportunities to anyone who views it. This caused the lives of everyone to be a lot easier in the way that they find information. Everyone was able to easily have information, completely changing their lives; Lee's creativity lead to something revolutionary, and with that he changed millions of people's lives, by giving them new opportunities in their lives. The world completely changed the moment Tim Berners-Lee finished creating the WWW. He managed to make it so that anyone could use it and share ideas throughout the world. "The World Wide Web has changed the world in a number of ways; namely, it has democratized information. The Web makes uncensored news reports, blogs, and alternative or marginalized points of view readily available to most of the world."( Tim Berners-Lee (Biography Today); 2010, p1-1, 2p). New opportunities were created for the world when people gained the ability to create web pages and post information on there. The information is now free for anyone who wants to view it, causing them to learn new things and give them different choices in life based on what they learn. Tim Berners-Lee's invention is what caused all of this to happen. People could create pages so that they can post their point of view and state what they want to state. By doing so it would mean that they actually have a voice because people around the globe can access that information and acknowledged what you're saying. If it weren't for the idea of hyperlinks that would have never happened and people wouldn't be able to access the information. No one other than Lee could have thought of the idea at the time,  It's all thanks to Tim Berners-Lee's inventive mind that he was able to create the WWW which caused people to have many opportunities in life. The invention labels him as a hero due to his contribution of improving the knowledge and communication between mankind.

The World Wide Web is a tool that allows people to share ideas and have their voices be heard. Due to Tim Berners-Lee's diligence, intelligence, and creativity, he created something that the world had never seen, and which helped society communicate with each other and share ideas. Tim Berners-Lee's hard work helped him to continue to work on new technology as it was being developed, and construct the idea of the WWW. His intelligence allowed him to enter the company in the first place and allow him to work with people of a similar caliber in order to help him think of the idea. Finally his creativity helped him to think of an idea that no one had thought of before that created a huge difference in the world. Tim Berners-Lee inspires me because he created something that completely changed lives of the entire world. Before everyone had limited knowledge of everything, but with the creation of web pages, anyone in the entire world could view another person's web page from across the world and understand their opinion, as well as finding information that they would need. Without the WWW, the world would be less efficient in the way it works; schools would not have as many resources to work with when they try to teach their students. With the creation of the World Wide Web it helped spread knowledge through the use of different types of media on the web. My dad once told me that when he was a child he would have to look up everything that he needed to know in a book. But I was lucky because all I had to do was search it up on the web. I think of Lee as a hero who gave me and everyone else in the world a voice and the power of knowledge. Without the World Wide Web, this entire world may not even exist. The world could be completely different from what it is now. It is all thanks to Tim Berners-Lee that the world is as knowledgeable and connected to each other as it is today.

Cheek D, Dennis W. C. Tim Berners-Lee. Great Lives From History: The Twentieth Century        [serial on the Internet]. (2008,Sep), [cited April 4, 2014]; 1. Available from: Biography    Reference Center.

Murphy, B. Keith, and Murphy B. Keith. "Tim Berners-Lee." Great Lives From History:   Inventors & Inventions (2008):1.Biography Reference Center. Web. 4 Apr. 2014. 

"Tim Berners-Lee." Tim Berners-Lee (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center.   Web. 4 Apr. 2014.

World Wide Web - World Wide Web helps develop growth of the web.
TED - TED interviews famous people.
Biography Online - Biography Online writes biographies about different people.