Tori Degen

by Taylor from Mission Viejo

"A Wish More Than Fulfilled"

I knew Tori Degen was my hero when I saw everybody else saying she was their hero. I didn’t know a lot about her, but I began to get to know a lot about her and her story. I went to her website and gained all this knowledge on who she was and how she made this world a better place. She went through things that I never could have. Having cancer twice as teenager is a big step and something you have to face. After the cancer was gone she decided to join the American Cancer Society. She found her love of public speaking when making speeches about her story and her dream came true.

Tori Degen is a public relations and a marketing intern for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Foundation. The average annual earnings are $39,160. She went for a semester at Saddleback College and is now at Cal State Fullerton as a junior. She is a communications and public relations major, and also is taking journalism and loves every bit of writing and public speaking. She plans on graduating at Cal State Fullerton and finding a mission that she believes in 100%. As a young girl she knew that she would never join a job that did not interest her.

The reason that she joined this career was her life story. She started off an amazing soccer player until she turned 14. She was diagnosed with a rare type of ovarian cancer and went through much chemotherapy. Luckily she was given amazing doctors that were able to cure her from the cancer. After 2 years she was diagnosed with another type of ovarian cancer but didn’t have to go through chemotherapy. Instead she was in need of a hysterectomy. Now she feels healthier than ever. The Make-A-Wish Foundation made Tori’s dream come true. She was able to meet her personal hero in person. Mia Hamm a famous girl’s soccer player happens to be Tori’s hero. They were able to make her dream come true. Since, all of Tori’s dreams have been answered she wanted to give back to the world and children. That is why she began public speaking and telling people about her amazing few years. She joined missions and many other things to allow others to have hopes and dreams.

Tori Degen gives back to others in many ways. While the Make-A-Wish Foundation made her dream come true, she wanted to make other people’s dreams come true. So, she has joined some missions to help people that are going through chemotherapy or other cancer treatment. She spends a lot of her time making public speeches to people such as kids with cancer. She is encouraging and very helpful to people who think they can’t stick it out any longer. She is the reason for some kids not giving up on their hopes and dreams.

In high school my goal is to have the attitude that she does, to not give up. I want to be able to live everyday knowing that everything is okay. I am very vocal and social so public speaking is something that is kind of second nature to me. I would love to go to college and do something that truly interests me. If someone were to ask me to spend a day talking to a bunch of people/kids, I would say yes of course! I love kids and I want them to not give up on anything and just do it. Everyone is capable and I think that is what Tori Degen’s is trying to let everyone know. I will stride to be the best person I can be for others. I want to work at missions and make a difference in this world.

Mia Foundation - Talks about Tori's story.
Tori Degen - Tells about her story and about her goals and dreams in life.
Tori Degen - This is where i got all my pictures