Thomas Alva Edison

by Tyler from Quakertown

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas Edison with his phonograph. (Google Images)

Thomas Alva Edison is my hero. Why? Well, because he liked making things just like me. He invented a light bulb, a tin foil phonograph, and the motion picture machine. I am starting small to with wood, nails, and a hammer. But I did build an improved tree house with a friend. We added a lounge chair made of wood (it was actually comfortable!) What I admire about Thomas Edison is his intelligence, artistic ability, and kindness.

What is in the Light Bulb made of. (Google Images)

Edison was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio and the 7th son of Samuel and Nancy Edison. A few years later, his family moved to Port Huron, Michigan. Edison lived there until he was 16. But Edison had little formal education as a child, but his mother taught him everything he knows. And as a child, he was partly deaf. He has 1,093 patented inventions that are used in U.K., France, and Germany. At 10 years old, he built his own science laboratory. And as a child, he saved a 3 year old from being hit with a train. He started his career as an inventor in Newark, New Jersey. His first invention was on June 1, 1869. Thomas Edison even had a quote that inspired a lot of people. And those words were “Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.” It is also said that he tested 6,000 vegetable growths.

Thomas Edison in his science lab. (google Images)

He was a man of great words and a very kind man that grew up to be one of the most famous inventors of all time! He lived from 1847 to 1931, days after a coma. (October 18) Yet, he taught me a lesson that is to never give up!

Thomas Edison - All about Thomas Edison and his inventions.
Menlo Park - Thomas Edison's historic site.
Thomas Edison - Edison Birthplace Museum