Thomas Alva Edison

by Spencer from San Diego

treehugger.com
treehugger.com

Thomas Alva Edison. This man invented many great inventions. The light bulb, the first ever motion picture, and many other great inventions in his time. The man, quite literally, brought light to the world and the future. Edison started from an unlikely background no one really expected. Edison was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio. His parents had met in Canada where, after a failed insurrection against the government, his father had to flee. His father established a grain and lumber business and in 1839, could afford to have the rest of the family join him. Edison was the fourth and last child in a family of 9. While Edison was in school his teachers believed him "addled" or retarded. His mother soon pulled Edison out of school and began to home school him. While in his adolescence, Edison acquired a job working at the train station. One day as a train was pulling away, the station master pulled Edison onto the train by the ear. Edison claims he heard a pop in his ear, and it is commonly associated with his later hearing loss. Soon afterward, Edison saved the station master's young son from an oncoming locomotive. As a reward Edison learned more about the telegraph which translated into his later inventions. Because of this, Edison was later able to improve the telegraph. This is only a minor improvement in the sea of inventions and improvements that benefitted all of mankind. Edison was an extraordinary man who possessed ambition, determination, and general helpfulness to his common man.

Thomas Alva Edison was a man who liked to help other people. He not only touched the entire world with his inventions, he helped other people throughout the course of his life. Edison one day did something that would set off a chain reaction throughout his entire life. "He bravely pulled the stationmaster's son from the front of an oncoming locomotive." ("Edison's Story." Smithsonian.org). Thomas Edison bravely risked his life to save a little boy who would most certainly have died. Edison was willing to risk his life for this young child. Shortly after, Edison wanted to find a job. He got an interview with Law's Gold Indicator Company. "While he was waiting to interview for a job with Law's Gold Indicator Company, the office's central transmitting machine broke down. Edison quickly found the problem and fixed the machine." ("Thomas Alva Edison." World of Invention). If Edison had not helped out, it would have led to a serious communication blackout. Helping this company soon earned Edison an all-important job. While Edison helped the world, he still was able to help everyday people. But science was an important part of his life, and he was determined to follow his dream.

(incwell.com)
(incwell.com)

Thomas Edison was a determined man, who was focused on science. Nothing stood in his way, and no problem was too large. Edison's childhood was no cake walk. He struggled in school and his teachers believed that he had a special problem. "His teacher, failing to relate to the way Edison's mind worked, dismissed him as being 'addled', or retarded." ("Thomas Alva Edison." Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics). Edison was a child who couldn't really connect with the school work. Even after hearing this, Edison was determined to accomplish his dreams. Years later, when Edison was in his early twenties, he found himself with a job working at the local train station. Determined to continue experimenting, Edison asked for a special favor with the station master. "Over time Edison expanded his activities on the train, receiving permission to use an empty part of the baggage car to set up a small chemistry laboratory." ("Thomas Alva Edison." Scientists: Their Lives and Works). Edison was always fascinated with how things work and this lab was the perfect setup for him. Determination shone through in this instance, as Edison was able to figure out any problem. Accomplishing his dream took determination and an iron will.

Edison truly embodied the traits of being a determined and helpful person. He accomplished many wonderful things in his lifetime, and continued to pursue science up to the day he died. Thomas Alva Edison truly was an amazing and world-changing man. He helped change the world over and made a significant difference. Where others tried and failed to make an actual working light bulb, Edison kept at it. He never gave up in the pursuit of his dreams and that to me makes him an inspiration. Thomas Edison will be forever remembered as the man that brought light to the world. I can think of no better reason than this to make him my hero and an inspiration to always strive towards my goals.

Works Consulted

Bedi, Joyce. "Edison's Story." Smithsonian.org. Smithsonian, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.

Israel, Paul. "Thomas Alva Edison." Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics. Ed. Carl Mitcham. Detroit: Macmillan

Reference USA, 2005. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 5 Feb. 2013.

World of Invention. "Thomas Alva Edison." Gale, 2006. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 5 Feb. 2013. World of Physics.

"Thomas Alva Edison." Gale, 2006. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 6 Feb. 2013. Scientists: Their Lives and Works. "Thomas

Alva Edison." Gale, 2006. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 6 Feb. 2013.