Thomas Alva Edison

by Grant from Loveland

Thomas Edison (Google images (www.biography.com))

Thomas Edison had three qualities to make a successful inventor and we don't see them often today. Picture sitting down in a wooden chair at a wooden desk creating the future, Thomas Alva Edison did this a handful of times. This incredible man showed many of the qualities that we lack today. First of all, he showed perseverance through failure thousands of times with one invention. He also displayed and put out the most creative thoughts of anyone in that time. He also developed becoming a visionary, meaning he saw the big picture of what it would do in the future.

Light Bulb (Google images (ritterlumber.net))

Thomas Edison had three qualities to make a successful inventor, and one of these three qualities includes never giving up, or perseverance. In his career the one invention that he truly had to persevere through without a doubt the light bulb. In the process of creating it he failed over a thousand plus times. He tried using objects that he knew wouldn't work, but he tried them anyways because he didn't have any more ideas. For example he tried plants, furs, metals, almost anything that he could make into a filament. Another invention he never gave up on included the movie camera. During the creation of the movie camera he had to find a way to put frame by frame pictures in about 24 pictures per second. To make a film look smooth and realistic the pictures must travel at a fast enough speed to make it look real. Edison had to find a way to make theses pictures travel fast enough for a smooth realistic movie.

Another quality that Edison has that we all need more of includes his creativity. During Edison's career he found a way to become one of the most creative inventors of all time. One example of an invention he showed complete creativity with would include the light bulb, the Weekly Herald newspaper, and the movie camera and many others. He showed creativity in the light bulb because he came up with an idea that he could cast light with a filament, electricity, and glass to protect the gasses and filament from harming people. Another hobby/job Edison did included every week he produced the Weekly Herald newspaper consisting of current events and advertising the train station that he worked at. One last invention Edison worked very diligently at consisted of only the movie camera. The movie camera in today's world produces companies millions of dollars off of one film, like Unbroken, Martian, Minion, and many others.

The last quality out of many he acquires includes his ability for seeing the big picture in his inventions, also called a visionary. Edison created multiple of his inventions based off of their purpose, meaning when he created the light bulb he knew it would have a huge impact in the future world. When he created the movie camera he also saw how it would bring emotions to people and could inspire them to do their best in life. One of the last inventions he saw the most potential in included the phonograph, the voice recorder back then. When he made this he easily saw how it would make technology more advanced, and how it would make you able to record another person's words and conversations.

So, throughout Thomas Alva Edison's outstanding life he had many of life's hardest challenges and defeated them face to face. In his life he consistently showed three outstanding qualities, including perseverance, becoming a visionary, and his creativity.These inventions helped morph the future one step at a time and they impacted today dramatically. So, these inventions created by man at a desk impacted us forever.These reasons together make him my hero.