Terry Fox

by Abby from Barrie

Terrance Stanley "Terry" Fox CC OD, (July 28, 1958 – June 28, 1981)

Terry was a Canadian athlete, and cancer research activist. In 1980, with one leg having been amputated, he decided to run on a cross-Canada run to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research, (including my school Eastview Secondary) over C$500 million has been raised in his name.

Terry Fox was an 18 year old when he was doing his first year Kinesiology at SFU and a member of the SFU junior varsity basketball team in 1977, during this time Terry was diagnosed with bone cancer that resulted in the amputation of his right leg six inches above the knee, causing him not to be able to walk. After suffering chemotherapy and seeing other people suffer, particularly children suffering with cancer, Terry decided that he wanted to make a difference in the world, he wanted to do something to help cure this dreadful disease for younger children that may be happen to suffer from it.

To me Terry is a hero because of his ambition to want to help younger children not to have to suffer through cancer day to day. Terry was very determined to raise money to help people not have to experience what he did, there for running around Canada to prove this. To be a hero I believe you need to show how much you care for others, which Terry did.