Terry Fox

by Matt from Bradford, Ontario, Canada

My hero is Terry Foxborn in in Winnipeg, Manitoba on July 28, 1958. He is my hero because he raised 500 million for cancer research.

When Terry was younger, he was a long distance runner and played basket all for his Port Coquitlam B.C. high school and Simon Frasier University. In 1997  his right leg was amputated when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma but continued to run and play wheelchair basketball. He even won the championship three times in a row.

Terry was influenced when he was in the hospital and saw kids going through the same thing that he was. That changed Terry. He felt like he needed to make a difference. He even inspired Rick Hansen to wheelchair around the world as the man in motion.

A few of Terry's awards are his 1164  awards in his name, 537 is the amount of humanitarian awards, there is a Terry Fox in Vancouver, 32 streets were named after him, that's a few ways he changed Canada and the world.

He influences me to believe in myself and never give up because when he was in the hospital he wanted to end cancer even more instead of giving up and not believing because he had one leg.

My hero showed courage because he tried to run across Canada with only a van and the possibility of getting hit by a car plus he had one leg. Also he showed perseverance because he didn't stop in the rain or snow or people trying to run him off the road.

From being a basketball player and runner, to having bone cancer and one leg, Terry has truly made a difference.