Terrance Stanley Fox

by Matthew, grade 5 from Canada

"I bet some of you feel sorry for me. Well don't. Having an artificial leg has its advantages. I''ve broken my right knee many times and it doesn't hurt a bit".

I believe. Terry Fox was a hero, he ran for cancer research, a hero that ran for approximately 4000 kilometers! Terry raised some 10,000 dollars, he was a true hero.

Firstly, Terry Fox's early life was just like anyone else. He was born born on July 28th,1958, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Terry was the 2nd oldest child. He had 1 sister and 2 brothers. He loved them very much, and had no idea what was going to happen to him.

Secondly, he got interested in basketball, he wasn't that good however, he played with his friend Doug after every school session. His (Terrance S. Fox) leg was amputated in 1977 when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

Finally, Did you notice the persuasive writing? Terry Fox ran about 4000 kilometres. He got his osteosarcoma promoted to osteo-metastatic cancer. He died in 1981; creating the legacy known as the Terry Fox run! (held October 17th or February 12th[in America it's spelled February])

In conclusion. I strongly believe Terrance S. Fox was a hero, and people diagnosed with cancer are a lot luckier than the 70's and 80's. Thank you Terrance S. Fox (Terry)!