Terry Fox

by Dana from Calgary

"I remember promising myself that should I live I would prove myself deserving of life"
A web about Terry Fox (I made it)
A web about Terry Fox (I made it)

Terry Fox was born in 1958 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and moved to Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, a community near Vancouver. Terry Fox was an active teenager involved in a lot of sports. Terry was only 18 years old when he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his right leg. In 1977 Terry was forced to have his right leg amputated 15 centimeters above the knee.

Terry Fox running (i made it)
Terry Fox running (i made it)

While in hospital, Terry was so sad to see the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children. After that, he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He would call his run the Marathon of Hope. Terry lived from 1958 to 1981.

After 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometers to prepare, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980 with only a few supporters. Although it was difficult to get attention in the beginning, he soon got more attention. The money collected along his route began to build. He ran 42 kilometers (26 miles) a day through Canada's provinces, Quebec and Ontario. It was a journey that we will never forget.

The Terry Fox statue in Thunder Bay (I made it)

However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometers (3,339 miles), Terry stopped running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. All of Canada was saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22. The heroic Canadian was gone, but his legacy was just beginning.

To date, more than $400 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name through the annual Terry Fox Run It is now held across Canada and around the world. Terry Fox is my hero because he gave his life to save people other diagnosed with cancer.