Temple Grandin

by SabrinaV from Miami

Temple Grandin at a farm (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christal-smith/profi ())

Temple Grandin was born on August 29,1947 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of two. For two years she endured intense speech therapy, she began talking at the age of four. She considers middle school and high school the hardest part of her life because she was constantly teased and taunted for being a nerd. Despite the odds Grandin graduated from Hampshire Country School. She went on to get her bachelor's degree in psychology at Franklin Pierce College in 1970, attained a master's degree in animal science from Arizona State University in 1975, and a doctoral degree in animal science from the University of Illinois in 1989.

Temple Grandin is an advocate for animal welfare and autism. Living with autism allows Grandin to sympathize with animals raised for slaughter, especially cows. She is well known for her invention of livestock handling systems. She came to the conclusion, curved cattle choutes are more efficient because cows have a natural tendency to go back where they came from. Her system is used on nearly half the cows raised in North America.

Besides her love for animals and willingness to work with the industry, Grandin is also an advocate for autism. She has written many books about her experience with autism like "The Way I See It" and "Thinking In Pictures." She also campaigns for early interventions to address autism and supports teachers trying to help autistic children turn their disease into something positive.

Temple Grandin currently resides in Boston Massachusetts and is 65 years old. Throughout her life she overcame many obstacles with living with autism. Despite her many challenges Grandin remained determined and used her disability to her advantage. She is a well known author and doctor. Temple Grandin is a great role model and her story is motivational. She reminds people that they can achieve anything as long as they have the drive.