Tenzin Gyatso

by Ben from San Diego

Tenzin Gyatso (http://totatema.wordpress.com/category/research/ ())

"This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness." (Tenzin Gyatso) "He received the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1989, in recognition of his tireless application of the spiritual principles of nonviolence and reasoned dialogue to the tragic situation the Tibetan people have suffered since 1949 under China's genocidal invasion, occupation, and colonization of Tibet." (Sims, Holly) The Nobel Peace Prize is a prestigious award, and it highlights his respectability and virtue. His incessant fight for freedom of Tibet is an achievement worth acknowledging. "The Dalai Lama has received significant media attention for his cause, largely because of his emphasis on peaceful reconciliation with China, the preservation of Tibetan culture and religion and human rights." (The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) Tenzin Gyatso has become well known for his kindness towards all. A hero is someone who influences others with their words or actions. Tenzin Gyatso inspires millions with his words of wisdom and compassion for a better world. Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, is humble, compassionate, and an inspiration to people around the world.

His selflessness and respectful manner shows that the power that he has doesn't affect him in such a way that would alter his decisions. In an interview, Tenzin was asked questions and one included, "How do you view yourself?" and he answered. "I always consider myself as a simple Buddhist monk. I feel that is the real me. I feel that the Dalai Lama as a temporal ruler is a man-made institution."(The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) Even though thought of Tibet's ruler and being known as a respectable and open-minded man, he only considers himself as a Buddhist monk. He believes himself to be equal to those who follow his teachings shows that he is a fair and caring leader, someone for the Tibetan people to look up to. This is a continuation of the question of "How do you view yourself?, and he talks about how no one can take away him being a monk."But being a monk is something which belongs to me. No one can change that. Deep down inside, I always consider myself a monk, even in my dreams. So naturally I feel myself as more of a religious person. Regarding politics, I have no modern education except for a little experience. It is a big responsibility for someone not so well equipped."(The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) Further elaborating on the idea that he is a simple Buddhist monk, he explains that his thoughts and dreams are him thinking about being a Buddhist monk. Additionally, he admits to not having an education regarding politics, showing that he has flaws and seems to not flaunt his title. Throughout this interview, he shows his gratitude of being able to be the Dalai Lama, and does not boast in any way about him deserving the title or power along with it.

Escape After Being Exiled From Tibet (http://www.dalailama.com/gallery/category/2 ())

Tenzin's compassionate ways are spread through his teachings to create a better world. For example, one of his commitments is the promotion of human values, and that includes showing compassion which can be shown through non-violence and harmony. "The Dalai Lama says that he is active in spreading India's message of non-violence and religious harmony throughout the world."(Shoumojit, Banerice) One of his commitments is to create peace, and he is able to do that through teaching about non-violence and promoting the idea of compassion for all. For example, Tenzin was exiled by China, and the Chinese people caused genocide and invaded Tibet, yet he is not vengeful or has anger towards China. Furthermore, he shows he is open-mindedness by implementing the idea that it is possible to have different principles of Buddhism. "Among American Buddhists, the Dalai Lama is consistent in applying his pluralistic principles: He makes a point of not criticizing the practices of Theravada, Zen, Pure Land, Nichiren, or any other national forms of Buddhism, and within the various schools of Tibetan Buddhism he does not uphold the Gelukpa order in which he was primarily educated as if its teachings were superior to those of the other orders." (Sims, Holly) His intentions are not to convert people to Buddhism, and although being taught by different principles, he is open to the other teachings. In short, Tenzin's teachings include the demonstration of compassion because he understands that all humans want happiness and don't want suffering.

The teachings of Buddhism that are spread by the Dalai Lama can inspire people around the world by simplistic ways to make the world a better place. When asked what experiences had the greatest effect on him, he responded with an answer that everyone could benefit from hearing. "I am still progressing. Trying. It gives you inner strength, courage, and it is easier to accept situations. That's one of the greatest experiences." (The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) He accepts that he still has room for improvement, which gives the idea that you can always become a better person and in doing so can give great experiences for learning. He inspires me to attempt everything, because you learn something new with every new experience that you encounter. I personally feel inspired to take this conception into my everyday life because it keeps me from stressing, which all students can go without. "If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever."(The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) The philosophy of this saying can help create stress-free people resulting in more people with clear thoughts. The Dalai Lama's teachings and personal thoughts contain sayings that can inspire many to become a greater person whether personal or positive for those around you.

Performing Rituals at Fribourg, Switzerland (http://www.dalailama.com/gallery/album/0/274 ())

The Dalai Lamas compassion and selflessness inspire many people today through his teachings to encourage peace and kindheartedness. Tenzin Gyatso uses his words, not his fists for the fight of freedom for Tibetans and he chooses to use positivity and forgiveness over negativity and revenge. He has become an inspiration for me and many others with his humanitarian mind set of peace and compassion for all humans. He travels the world spreading these teachings of creating a better world through pacifism. In the final analysis, Tenzin Gyatso is a hero because he fights for what he believes in using compassion and non-violent means while making the world a better place by teaching many the ways of Buddhism.

Works Consulted:

"From Birth to Exile." Www.dalailama.com.

The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, n.d. Web. 13 May 2013. .

Sims, Holly. "Dalai Lama." Governments of the World: A Global Guide to Citizens' Rights and Responsibilities. Ed. C. Neal Tate. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2006. Biography In Context. Web. 10 May 2013.

I'm messenger of India's ancient thoughts": Dalai Lama; 14 November 2009; Itanagar. Indian Express Newspaper; Hindustan Times Newspaper; PTI News; Dalai Lama Quotes Page - USATODAY.com; Official website; Signs of change emanating within China: Dalai Lama; By Shoumojit Banerjee; 27 May 2010; The Hindu newspaper

"Questions and Answers." Dalailama.com. The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. 08 May 2013 .

"Final Day in Fribourg, Switzerland." Dalailama.com. The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Web. 20 May 2013. <(http://www.dalailama.com/gallery/album/0/274 ())>.

"Escape Into Exile." Dalailama.com. The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Web. 20 May 2013. < (http://www.dalailama.com/gallery/category/2 ())>.