Timothy Henningsen

by Daniel M. from Laredo

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” - Frederick Keonig
Timothy and his son Josh.
Timothy and his son Josh.

My hero is someone who has inspired not only me, but an entire community with only a few words. His name is Timothy Henningsen. Timothy passed away on September 20th, 2009. Tim served his country honorably for three years, spending much of that time stationed abroad in South Korea. After his three years of service, he was honorably discharged. Although he has passed, he still inspires people to this day. He inspired people with his constant happiness, his smile, his knowledge, and his way of life. Timothy loved to help people. All of the things he did, the activities he participated in, and the words he said, always made someone happy. Timothy worked at a hospital. He had a wonderful sense of humor. He was that friend who you can tell anything to, and he'd have the perfect advice that would help you get through your struggles. Tim not only inspired me, but he inspired an entire community. Through his inspiration he saved a community that was at its lowest. In this project, you will see how he has completely changed a struggling community, and how you can do the same.

Tim inspired people through his happiness. Tim was always in a positive, bright, and blissful mood. He was never sorrowful or unhappy. Tim ensured that the outcome of every situation was happy. He inspired others to do so through his music. He played free shows for his community. His music often talked about current issues in our society, and solutions to those issues. Tim's happiness inspired others because it pushed and motivated others to be positive in every way. Tim also inspired others to create a change through music. He said it doesn't matter what kind of music you like or play, as long as it has a positive message. Tim played every type of music, so that everybody would be happy at a show. He didn't want to play one type of music at a show because he didn't want one type of audience at his shows. He wanted to find a way that everybody could get together and find something they all have and common and have a fun, and happy time.

Tim inspired everyone through how he helped out in our community. He volunteered at soup kitchens, helped non-profit organizations, and often donated to several charities. Tim said that helping people that need it will ensure that not only will they be happy one day, but you will too. Tim posted fliers around town that asked the citizens to meet and gather at one place, where he would lead them all to a soup kitchen or non-profit organization event and help out. Tim was inspirational because people knew that Tim had very serious issues, but knew how to overcome his issues and help others no matter what. Tim accepted people for who they were, not for their financial well-being, their opinions, or their way of living. Tim also inspired everyone to do the same. Tim knew that everyone was different, but equal in a way.

I think Tim was the biggest hero in my life because I knew that he had to face some of the hardest problems and issues in his life, yet he put his problems on pause and focused on the problems of others. He was the person who anybody could go to, and he would not only give you excellent advice, but he would not stop until your issue was dealt with. Tim helped me with things, big or small. He knew both of my parents, and helped me with big issues like my parents arguing. A small issue he would help me with is homework, or an issue with a friend. Tim would always strive to help me, my family, and families of others at all time.

Tim was not only my hero, but the hero of many other people in our community. He was a local hero because he would help anyone, no matter what, and any advice he would give was meaningful. He had turned a deadbeat town into a town that was flourishing with happy citizens. Tim was a local hero, and when he had passed away, he had broken the hearts of every single person in the community. Tim was a role model to all of the people in our community. Tim hoped that the people he had inspired will be role models for their children, and their children's children. Tim had completely changed our community, and he hopes that others will change their communities for the better.