Tom Lang

by Joe from Pickerington

Columbus Fire Department Badge (Google images (10 TV.com))

A Hero to me is not a person who wears a cape and flies around the World protecting it from meteors or saving the day from aliens. A Hero to me is someone who I will always look up to, someone who's brave and confident, someone who's impacted my life.

Yes, it's important to have a Hero because it's always good to have someone in your life that you can always look up to and it's good to know there's some good in the World.

I have many Heroes in my life but my favorite has to be my Dad, Tom Lang. He's been my hero ever since I was little. I've always looked up to him and have wanted to be like him ever since. My Dad is a paramedic in Columbus and is stationed at Station 23 and has been there ever since I can remember. He's gone on runs of all kinds from gunshot victims to people who have had heart attacks and if you ask me that's pretty brave.

By now you have an idea of what Tom does. But I truly think he should be in the Hall of Fame because in my eyes he's not just one of the many paramedics out there... in my eyes he's the best paramedic! Every week he saves saves someone somewhere and we're not talking about a couple people every week. Were talking about at least 20-30(maybe even more) people a week. People like adults, grandparents, even kids our age or younger are being saved because of him. That's why Tom should be put in the Hall of Fame.

This is a picture of Station 23 (I got it off of Division of Fire (Division of Fire))

Alright, interview time!

1. Who is your Hero and why?
"Johnny Bench, he was the baseball player I always wanted to be."

2. How long have they been your Hero?
"Ever since I was nine."

3. What's a Hero to you?
"Someone to follow in the path of greatness."

4. Do you consider yourself a Hero? Why or why not?
"No, because in my eyes I have not led my children to greatness."

5. Do you enjoy being a paramedic?
Yes, I like trying to make a positive difference in some people's worst day of their lives.

6. Why did you decide to become a paramedic?
To help people.

7. What's it like having all this responsibility being a paramedic?
Sometimes stressful and very gratifying in cases of emergency.

8. What's it like saving someone's life?
Like hitting the mega millions times one hundred!

9. What's the Station like?
It is a true family in which everyone would do anything for anyone at that station.

10. Do you think you should be in the Hall of Fame?
No, but six weeks ago, Medic 23 had a patient which was in cardiac arrest. Upon arrival patients family was performing CPR. Medic and Engine crew carried the patient into the front room and continued CPR. Crew hooked up the cardiac monitor and shocked her one time which produced a normal heart rhythm. During transport patient continued to improve and was thanking crew before departure from ER-----------Very unusual.

Today my Dads Heroes are his crew.